Monday, 24 August 2015

Review: Jesse's Girl - Miranda Kenneally

Written by: Miranda Kenneally
Published by: Sourcebooks Fire
Edition: Kindle
Pages: 304
Purchase from:  Amazon   |   Book Depository

Everyone at Hundred Oaks High knows that Career shadowing day is a joke. So when Maya Henry said she wanted to be a rock star, she never imagined she'd get to shadow the Jesse Scott. Nashville's teen idol.

But by spending the day with Jesse is far from a dream come true. He's as gorgeous as his music, but seeing all that he's accomplished is just a reminder of everything Maya's lost: her trust, her boyfriend, their band, and any chance to play the music she craves. Not to mention that Jesse's pushy and opinionated. He made it on his own, and he thinks Maya's playing back-up to other people's dreams. Does she have what it takes to follow her heart - and go solo?

I have picked up some of Miranda Kenneally's books and I always find them fun and quick to read. No matter the story Miranda Kenneally does not disappoint in this area, so it was no surprise that Jesse's Girl was just as fun and sweet as her other books. There is a flirty and cute relationship, that gets mixed in with supporting and strong family vibes, which is why I loved this aspect of this book because everything just feels better when there is a strong family relationship thrown in.
"I am so lucky. I used to think trust means "never let you down", but really, it's about love."
There were many things that I loved about Maya, the most important ones being that she was passionate and strong willed. Never let things get her down for too long, which I think makes her awesome. Not to mention I loved how she stayed the same, yet somehow grew, throughout the novel. It was refreshing and interesting to say the least. But I think the thing that really stood out for me, in Maya's case, was how much support her family gave her and how they were not willing to let her bow out of her dreams. I loved reading about that because it really allowed the supporting characters to shine through the pages. Making it a really compelling and beautiful read.
"We shouldn't expect perfect. But we can hope that the people we love, love us enough to try to make it right.”
While there were times that I got slightly annoyed by Jesse's Character, he still had his moments when I just couldn't resist smiling. He was sweet and conventional yet had a swirling temper and sensitive side that seemed to just create a deeper personality than the confident one he projects. Their relationship allowed the fun and witty side, that is always present in Miranda Kenneally's novels, to stand up and be noticed allowing me to get all sides out of the story. It was just super cute and sweet that I couldn't help but be softened by it.
"And under the bright, twinkling stars, I wrap my arms around his neck and we kiss, perfectly in tune."
All in all, if your looking for a super sweet summer read I would definitely give Jesse's girl a go. Not only are you get an amazingly cute romance there are really strong and perfect supporting characters that just round the story p in a well packaged bow. If there was one thing that let this story down for me was how slightly predictable it could be, but then its sort of what you come to expect when you read a young adult contemporary read. A happily ever after is pretty much sold as soon as you open the book. so its easy to look past this little ache in an otherwise perfect summer read.

Jesse's Girl (Hundred Oaks)