Monday, 24 August 2015

Review: Hamilton High: Lying out Loud - Kody Keplinger

Written by: Kody Keplinger
Published by: Hodder Children's Books
Edition: Kindle
Pages: 368
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository
Sonny Ardmore is an excellent liar. She lies about her dad being in prison. She lies about her mom kicking her out. And she lies about sneaking into her best friend's house every night because she has nowhere else to go.
Amy Rush might be the only person Sonny shares everything with - secrets, clothes, even a nemesis named Ryder Cross.

Ryder's the new kid at Hamilton High and everything Sonny and Amy can't stand - a prep-school snob. But Ryder has a weakness: Amy. So when Ryder emails Amy asking her out, the friends see it as a prank opportunity not to be missed.

But without meaning to, Sonny ends up talking to Ryder all night online. And to her horror, she realizes that she might actually 'like' him. Only there's one small catch: he thinks he's been talking to Amy. So Sonny comes up with an elaborate scheme to help Ryder realize that she's the girl he's really wanted all along. 
Can Sonny lie her way to the truth, or will all her lies end up costing her both Ryder and Amy?


Let me begin in saying that I really enjoyed Kody Keplinger's novel The Duff, which is the companion novel to Lying Out Loud, so I immediately requested this book for review from publishers and NetGalley. I didn't really read the blurb so I wasn't entirely sure what this book was about, all I knew was that Wes and Bianca would make an appearance within it. Which is why, in all honesty I probably should of done more research into the story as I have to admit that overall this book was not my cup of tea.
"Hell hath no fury like a girl defending her bestie."
To start with, I did not get on with the main character Sonny. She was so highly annoying and immature to me that I couldn't understand her actions. I really liked her personality at the start of the book, it was fun and witty,  but as it went on she just got more moany and whiny, so I just couldn't sum up any sympathy for her because of how annoying her thinking only of herself came to be. She is projected as a brilliant liar but the lies she comes out with just aren't believable, which then leads to me thinking are the other characters just that trusting that they believe everything? and then I couldn't get into the book because I was always wondering how in the world the other characters are buying Sonny's lies. Making it hard for me to connect and like any of the characters in this book.
"And that's how this whole stupid thing began - with a lie that I, for once, hadn't even meant to tell"
Not only this, but Sonny's love interest Ryder also annoyed me to no end. I didn't like him at the beginning and I didn't like him at the end. All throughout the book Sonny was crushing on him and I just couldn't understand why. He was projected as self-absorbed and stuck up, plus he was also supposedly in love with Sonny's best friend so I didn't understand how he could just switch from one to the other. It annoyed me greatly and I just couldn't get my head around it. 
"I liked to be able to think quick on my feet. All the better for lying my dear."
Overall, there were a few redeeming qualities within this book and that was the sometimes witty writing of Kody Keplinger, the pacing of this book as being quite speedy, and the few occasions that Wes and Bianca appeared, but they were only few and far between. I think that what it really comes down to, having going into this story thinking that it was going to be like The Duff and there were going to be a lot of moments where we catch up with Wes and Bianca and then finding out that really wasn't the case, it ended up just being really disappointing to me. Not that, like I said before, there weren't moments where the writing shined through and I could enjoy the wittiness of it, I just really couldn't stop comparing it to The Duff and it is because of that Lying Out Loud couldn't live up to my expectations and instead it kind of deflated and flattened. 

Hamilton High: Lying Out Loud: A companion novel to The DUFF