Monday, 8 June 2015

Review: Breaking Sky - Cori McCarthy

Written by: Cori McCarthy
Published by: Sourcebooks Fire
Edition: Kindle
Pages: 416
Purchase from:  Amazon  | Book Depository

Chase Harcourt, call sign "Nyx," is one of only two pilots chosen to fly the experimental "Streaker" jets at the junior Air Force Academy in the year 2048. She's tough and impulsive with lightning-fast reactions, but few know the pain and loneliness of her past or the dark secret about her father. All anyone cares about is that Chase aces the upcoming Streaker trials, proving the prototype jet can knock the enemy out of the sky.

But as the world tilts toward war, Chase cracks open a military secret. There's a third Streaker jet, whose young hotshot pilot, Tristan, can match her on the ground and in the clouds. Chase doesn't play well with others, but to save her country she may just have to put her life in the hands of the competition.



Breaking sky follows the life of young streaker pilot Chase Harcourt as she embarks on the mystery that surrounds the second cold war and the allies that lie beneath the surface. I have to admit that from reading the blurb I was extremely excited to get stuck into this story, yet after finishing it I felt slightly underwhelmed. Now don't get me wrong there were a lot of stuff that I liked about this novel, the intrigue mystery and romance being the most exciting, but it did fall slightly short of my expectations. 
"Let go, Nyx. Fall in love. It's fucking fantastic."
For starters, the main thing that I really relished about the book was the total fast paced, action-filled adrenaline ridden plot. It was so electrifying in a way that it was so hard to stop once you had picked it up. It spurred you on to just keep going because the pacing was just so intense there never seemed to be a break. Which in turn just made the action within this novel so adrenaline racing and on point. So it was easy to see how it can grip you from the moment you start reading. I also really enjoyed the futuristic dystopian setting because it wasn't so fierce that it had you scrambling to try and figure out the rules and restrictions of this new world. Instead there was only slight, but still huge, differences that were really easy to keep a hold of. 
"Everything was fracturing, and it had been ever since she chased the Phoenix out of the sky."
On the other hand, the only thing that I just quite get over was the relationships created within the novel. While I was a huge fan of the characters themselves, and I did enjoy the relationship between Chase and Tristan, I wasn't a big fan of Chase's other relationships with the other characters. Her supposed best friend fall out seemed petty and immature, the big secret between her and her father didn't seem all that shocking and I still have no clue as to what is really the problem between her and her mother. To me, it all just felt slightly underdeveloped in that area so I found it hard to feel any sympathy or any kind of emotion when it came to these kind of defining and shocking moments within the novel.
'"You make me feel like I have six hands" she said.    "I make you feel like a mutant?"     "No I mean, you make me feel like every part of me is reaching for you."'
Overall, Breaking Sky is an extremely intense and adrenaline filled dystopian that just grips you from page one. The plot is written as though you are watching a movie unfold in front of your eyes and if you look away for one tiny minute you will miss something huge. Not to mention the main character of Chase is a fantastically strong heroin and I literally could not stop from being completely enamoured with her. It just needed a little more character development, for me and it would have been breathtaking.So all in all, Breaking Sky is such an electrifying read that is just pure fun and has fist-pumping action scenes that readers can escape and disappear into the pages. 

Breaking Sky