Thursday, 7 May 2015

The Selection

Written by: Kiera Cass
Published by: Harper Collins
Edition: Kindle
Pages: 339
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.
But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.


There has been so much hype for this book, because not only are the covers fantastic but the premise is extremely unique, I mean have you ever read a book that combines Reality TV with a dystopian world? So this was what mainly initially intrigued me into reading this book but I also wanted to see for myself what all the fuss was about. The selection follows the story of America Singer and how she deals with going through coveted selection process. For everyone else being part of the selection is an honor, while for America it is just a way to escape.
'In my head, it worked out perfectly. In my head, everyone was happy.'
One of things that I liked most about this book was Maxon. He was just so sweet and innocent but also had a commanding presence all rolled into one, I loved it and I loved him. Aspen on the other hand I really couldn't stand. He put America in such a difficult position and then even more so later on in the book. Plus his and America's romance/break up seemed so rushed and sudden it didn't seem genuine to me. With Maxon and America you could see it grow and nurture so the chemistry seemed more compelling and that was one of the other things that I liked a lot about this book. Their relationship was so much more relaxing and natural, even though it was born out of a contest, I couldn't stop myself from rushing to get back to their scenes.
'True love is usually the most inconvenient kind'
Overall, this book was just pure fun. There were some things happening beneath the surface that tickles you just enough that you feel an obsession to carry on with the series, to see what is going on with the rebels, but it wasn't really picked up within the book, it was just shown in little teases. I loved the relationships within the book, be it with Maxon or America's family and friends, I thought that they were really thought out and developed enough that you really got to know the characters through them. 
'It's always the fear of looking stupid that stops you form being awesome'
All in all, these books are pure addiction. They're impossible to put down and create an obsession within you to carry on and read the rest of the series because you just have to find out what happens next.

The Selection (The Selection, #1)