Sunday, 3 May 2015

Tape

Written by: Steven Camden
Published by: Harper Collins
Edition: Kindle
Pages: 352
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository

In 2013, Amelia moves in with her grandmother after losing her parents. There, she finds a tape in the spare room. A tape with a boy's voice on it - a voice she can't quite hear, but which seems to be speaking to her. 

Back in 1993, Ryan records a diary on an old tape. He talks about his mother's death and about his love for a new girl he just saw who doesnt even know he exits.

Ameliah and Ryan are connected by more than just a tape.
This is their story.

First of all lets just appreciate the beauty of this cover...okay now let's get on to the story itself. Tape follows the two lives of Amelia and Ryan set between 20 years but inextricably linked.I really did enjoy this story, I found it really eyeopening and simply stunning. However having said this, I did find it to drag in places and it was for me slightly predictable in where it was going. But It didn't take away from the fact that this story was a superb read.  
'It's probably best not to think about it too long much right? The universe and everything. I'm here. That's what matters. I'm here doing this and it happened. Just like you said, so I guess the universe is happy.'
It is written in dual perspective so it is constantly switching between the different time frames with each character, which can at times get slightly confusing and I think that this was the main reason the story dragged in places for me because I was finding it hard to keep interested when it kept switching from one time line to another. In other words my brain was working hard to play catch up as it was written like it was two stories within one storyline. Nonetheless I cannot argue the fact that it did needed to be written with dual perspectives as after everything it did give a slightly clearer understanding as to what was happening within the book. 
'Whose voice was it? What were they talking about? Since who showed up? And, most of all, why did they say Mom's name?'
The characters were cute and easy to like, with Ryan being sarcastic and loveable and Amelia being cute and shy. But they did sort of get lost within the pages due to it alternating between their two perspectives, so it didn't give me a lot of chance to connect with them. The writing style, though thoroughly interesting was more or less confusing so again it made it hard for me to really relax and enjoy the characters and their story.
'Like a movie, right? The chance had passed she's leaving, that was it, story over, until the hero seizes the day and does his thing.'
Overall, I was just a little underwhelmed by Tape. It had the interesting premise and the eye-catching cover but I just felt that it was a little lack luster when it came to the overall story. It was slightly predictable and even though the characters were sweet and likable I felt as though they got a little lost within the pages. But I cannot deny that the premise definitely made up for what was lost with character development. It was just so intriguing that I found myself enjoying the story no matter how muddled and underwhelmed I was. All in all, Tape had such an absorbing narrative that it made up for all the misgivings I had with the way it was written. 

Tape