Saturday, 2 May 2015

Love, Rosie

Written by: Cecelia Ahern
Published by: Hachette Books
Edition: Kindle
Pages: 448
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository

What happens when two people who are meant to be together can't seem to get it right?

Rosie and Alex are destined for each other, and everyone seems to know it but them. Best friends since childhood, they are separated as teenagers when Alex and his family relocate from Dublin to Boston.

Like two ships always passing in the night, Rosie and Alex stay friends, and though years pass, the two remain firmly attached via emails and letters. Heartbroken, they learn to live without each other. But destiny is a funny thing, and in this novel o f several missed opportunities, Rosie and Alex learn that fate isn't quite done with them yet.



Love, Rosie (originally titled Where Rainbows End) is a compelling novel on how two people that are clearly meant for one and other, keep skipping around and missing their chance to be together. I went into this novel expecting a lot because I am a huge fan of Cecelia Ahern , plus I loved the movie adaptation of this story which just added to my excitement to read it, and in retrospect I was not at all dissapointed. However I did come out of this novel being pulled in two different direction because I did absolutely adore this book but then I also absolutely hated it.
'Life deals each of us a different set of cards and out of all of us there's no doubt that you received the toughest hand of all.'
There were times when I was so frustrated that I had to take a breath and then push on but then there were also times when I couldn't stop myself from smiling. Love, Rosie follows the characters of Rosie and Alex as they grow up being best friends and nothing more. It is told through the style of letters, emails, instant messages and postcards so it was completely different and unique from anything I have ever read before, which just added so much to the story that I cannot begin to fathom how. It made it feel as though it was jumping and stuttering to and from different conversations but then the flow of the book was never interrupted it just was incredibly smooth and simple way of jumping forward in time but never disrupting the pace.
'I've learned that home isn't a place, it’s a feeling.'
The only thing that caused great animosity with me and this book is the way that Alex and Rosie skirted around each other and refused to admit to each other their feelings. It was just so frustrating that they couldn't see what was right in front of them. Not to mention that it carried on throughout the entire story right up until the very end so it literally left it till the last minute for these two to get their happy ending. Which annoyed me to no end. But then you could argue that this is what made the story so good. It made the story so much more realistic. Because you fell in love with the characters so much that you just want them to succeed and want them to feel happiness with each other. So much so that you get so disheartened that they cannot see what everyone else can that you have to take several deep breaths to stop yourself from shouting out loud, well I definitely did anyway.
'people who say its a long story, mean it's a stupid short one that they are too embarrassed and couldn't be bothered to tell' 
Overall I unquestionably loved this story but then I also hated it, if that makes any sense at all. It had a heart-pounding storyline of unlucky love with easy to adore characters that also made you want to knock their heads together to try and make them see sense. The way it was written was so unique and compelling but didn't even remotely hinder the flow and pace of the story, which is what I was extremely worried about when I realised that was how it was written. The only thing that I really wanted was for them to find their 'happily ever after' and granted they did but did it have to happen at the very end of the story? All in all, Cecelia Ahern has done it again with another thought and heart provoking novel that captures you at the very beginning and doesn't release you until the very end. 

Love, Rosie