Saturday, 11 April 2015

The Duff

Written by: Kody Keplinger
Published by: Hodder's Childrens Books
Edition: Kindle
Pages: 300
Purchase from: Amazon  | Book Depository

Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn’t think she’s the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She’s also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her “the Duff,” she throws her Coke in his face. 

But things aren’t so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him.

Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn’t such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she’s falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.

My Rating: 3.5/5

After watching the movie and loving it, I knew I just had to give this book a go to see if I would love it just as much. While, I did get little moments that I couldn't help but get swept away with, I was slightly surprised by how different the book was to it's movie adaptation.  The Duff follows the sarcastic and witty Bianca Piper as she struggles to deal with the stereotypes put upon her by the highly cocky Wesley Rush. I'm not going to lie, I found this book extremely entertaining but there were a lot of moments when I got so frustrated with the characters that I couldn't help but be slightly disappointed with it, considering I loved the movie so much.
Love is rare and hard to find and takes years upon years to develop.
It was just that Wesley was such a jerk in the beginning I honestly wasn't able to find it in myself to like him, at all, so even though his attitude changed towards the end I found it hard to forget how he treated Bianca at the beginning. Thus finding it hard to see why Bianca loved him so much, in fact it made me loose a little respect that I had for her. On the other hand I adored Bianca. She was so strong yet so vulnerable and because of that so easily relate able. Her ideals and morals made me respect her so much and her sarcasm and cynicism was incredibly fun to read. She definitely made this book for me in every way because I couldn't help but feel for struggles. 
No matter where you go or what you do to distract yourself, reality catches up with you eventually.
So it is easy to see why I have a love hate relationship with this book. It was fun and adorable with slightly annoying characters but with a storyline that is very meaningful. I just couldn't quite get over the fact how some characters didn't allow me to like them. It made it fustrating to read that so much trouble was caused from some really petty things. Yet it stood for so much, so I was constantly going back and forth, relishing in moments that shone through and detesting in moments that brought the story into idiotic and foolish problems.
"Don’t lie to yourself because you think it’s safer. Reality doesn't work like that."
On the whole, there were many moments that I really enjoyed this book, and I can't help but shout my love for what Bianca stands for, but there were also many moments were this book just didn't sit right with me. Having said this, The Duff is a book that you can just fly through but has a really defining storyline that will stick with you for many meaningful moments. I would definitely recommend this book, but especially the movie, just because of the compelling issues portrayed within the story in a really fun and energetic way.

The DUFF