Tuesday, 21 April 2015

Some Kind of Normal

Written by: Juliana Stone
Published by: Sourcebooks Fire
Edition: Kindle
Pages: 304
Purchase from:  Amazon  |  Book Depository

What is Normal?
For Trevor normal was fast guitar licks, catching game-winning passes and partying all night. Until a car accident leaves Trevor with no band, no teammates and no chance of graduating. It's kinda hard to ace your finals when you've been in a coma. The last thing he needs is stuck-up Everly Jenkins as his new tutor those beautiful blue eyes catching every last flaw.

For Everly normal was a perfect family around the dinner table, playing piano at Sunday service and sunning by the pool. Until she discovers her whole life is a lie. Now the perfect pastor's daughter is hiding a life-changing secret, one that is slowly tearing her family apart. And spending the summer with notorious flirt Trevor Lewis means her darkest secret could be exposed.


My Rating: 5/5

Some Kind of Normal takes place in the same world as Juliana's other novel Boys Like You but this time focuses on Trevor and Everly's relationship. I hadn't read the previous book but I could not stop myself from jumping right into this story. It had me intrigued from the beginning but what honestly stuck with me was the fact that I ended up falling completely and totally in love with Juliana Stone's writing and her oh so loveable characters. It's hard not to describe this book as pulling on your heartstrings in some way or another because both Trevor and Everly are dealing with major upheavals in their life. 
If there ever was a little piece of heaven on earth, it was somehow tied up inside Trevor Lewis.
If it isn't the amazing characters and if it isn't the brilliant story it is how well each and every mishap and tragedy is written so beautifully that leaves you wanting more in every single part of their story. Everything within this story is exquisitely thought out and developed so well that it literally left me breathless. 
"I'm more of a Wonder Women kind of guy, but I'm willing to overlook your Disney addiction"
Trevor is dealing with so much pain and confusion over his accident and it is one of the main things that screams from the pages, I could feel everything he was going through because the writing has a way of just reaching out and grabbing you and doesn't release you until they get their happily ever after. But it wasn't just Trevor that you can see the pain from. The storyline is so realistically written that it shows so much insight on how families that have to deal with these kinds of upheavals go through. Which ultimately in the end shows how strong they all are.
And in the meantime? I'm working on me. Working on happy. Working on some kind of normal.
All in all, Some Kind of Normal pulls on your heartstrings from the very beginning and demands that you read more. I for one can not begin to describe how much this book has burrowed into my heart and encouraged me to keep on reading. It was just one thing after another, so beautifully written that it spurs you to believe in somewhat happy endings.

Some Kind of Normal