Tuesday, 10 February 2015

Since Forever Ago

Written by: Olivia Besse
Published by: Wunderland Press
Format: Kindle
Pages: 316
Purchase from: Amazon

Fresh off the heels of a devastating breakup, Riley Benson is a mess. But with her ingenious plan to become a ball-busting heartbreaker herself, she’s pretty sure she’ll survive. After all, what better way is there to get revenge than to move on?

Riley’s determined to become the perfect bachelorette—she’s going to drink like a bro, belch like a beast and swear so much that she’ll make even the most seasoned sailors blush. After all, those are the qualities that every guy’s secretly looking for…. aren’t they?

Max Fletcher is in love with the girl who gave him chicken pox and his first broken leg. When his best friend seems to finally be out of the picture, he can’t help but want to keep Riley all to himself. And, after coaching her with the very best of the very worst love advice, it seems as if he might actually get what he's wanted after all those years. But just as the two come to the realization that they're actually kind of perfect for each other, along comes a secret that threatens to tear them apart.

My Rating: 2.5/5

I really wanted to like this book, it had the makings of a funny and fresh story line and cute characters but something just didn't click with me. No matter how hard I tried I could not get into this book. I didn't find the characters connectable and I didn't really like how things were heading throughout the start the book. The ending, on the other hand, I did like. It tied everything up in a neat little bow, so much so I did start to give the characters credit, they didn't seem as bad because of how it ended. Since forever ago follows Riley Benson after a hard breakup with her 6 year boyfriend who just so happens to have been cheating on her. Add in a male best friend, who coincidentally is in love with her, and two single female best friends who are determined to also find true love and you have the makings of a mushy new adult romance. 
"Nope you're looking at the new and improved Riley Benson, ladies. I'm going to divide and conquer. Pretty soon, I'll be a dating pro."
Throughout the entire novel I really wanted to shake Riley and tell her to just grow up. Because seriously the story just drowned on and on about how she will get over this break up and move on, only to the go right back into how she will forever be alone in the next paragraph. Geez it was so frustratingly annoying. It honestly, in my mind, kept getting more and more whiny. There was no character growth or substance to both of the main characters. Not to mention that the person that she eventually falls for was also genuinely immature and slightly moronic. Max has apparently been in love with his best friend for years but if he was really in love, would he really play with her emotions and set her up for failure on countless occasions. It was so aggravating but even more so that Riley couldn't see what he was doing. 
“Is this why you told me I should cheat on her?” 
“Wh... what?” Riley asked in a barely audible whisper. 
“I... You and I both know that that’s not what happened,” Max choked out
There were bits of the story that I did find cute, mainly bits that had to do with the side characters like Liz and Evan. The ending was perfect for me as you got to see more of the side characters and it shone a little light on the main characters motives and insecurities, which in turn made the more relateable, in doing so.  But overall I was swamped with bits that literally had me cringing with embarrassment. It was because of this that I personally found this book extremely hard to finish. I basically couldn't deal with the dodging around of feelings between the two main characters of Max and Riley, so I found the romance aspect a little lacking. While the rest of the story just did not match my sense of humor at all.
"I've loved you since we were kids," Max told her matter-of-factly."Since forever ago"
Having said this, it is a really quick and easy read so if you're looking for something to just fly through this book with be a good option. Plus there are somethings that add a slight hint of realistic aspects to the story. Like, for example, how hard it is to get over a break up, especially one of six years. Not to mention, for me the ending made up for all the cringe inducing moments that I had to get through. But in the case of the entire story, it was just repetitive and slightly boring for me in that sense. All in all, even though this book was a little to cringy for my taste, it does have all the qualities for a funny new adult romance story that centers on the sadness and loneliness of a recent break up towards the excitement but slightly awkward feeling of a new romance. 


Since Forever Ago