Monday, 23 February 2015

I Was Here

Written by: Gayle Forman
Published by: Simon and Schuster
Pages: 270
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository

Some lights are too bright to last

I regret to inform you that I have had to take my own life. This decision had been a long time coming, and was mine alone to make. I know it will cause you pain, and for that I am sorry, but please know that I needed to end my own pain. This has nothing to do with you and everything to do with me. It's not your fault. 
Meg

Cody and Meg were inseparable - best friends for life. They knew everything about each other. Or Cody thought they did. But how well do you really know your best friend? And what do you do when they choose to leave you behind?

My Rating: 4/5

I am a huge fan of Gayle Forman, any books of hers (that I have read so far) always take me on an emotional journey and always end with me loving them. I Was Here, in short, follows Cody as she struggles to come to terms with the idea of her best friend committing suicide. That synopsis along with the fact that it was written by Gayle Forman pretty much tied everything up for me. So when it came to requesting this book of NetGalley I didn't even think about it, I needed it. It was this reason, that was this books downfall for me because I had so many high expectations that I didn't think it lived up to.
Sometimes we meet people and are so symbiotic with them, it’s as if we are one person, with one mind, one destiny.
I Was Here is an emotional and captivating read, that much is clear, but in my case it just fell short with the romance aspect. It deals with a really heavy and daunting subject of suicide and grief but in that sense I loved this book. I could really feel the weight that Cody was carrying, and not only her but also from the other characters, and I could feel the impact of what happened. So in this case, it was written beautifully. But on the other hand, when it came to the romance it felt slightly weird and out of the blue. This maybe due to the idea that it is taking the back burner when it comes to the real issue that the story focuses on, but I purely didn't connect with it so I couldn't enjoy that aspect of the story. 
You had a pile of rocks, and you cleaned them up pretty and made a necklace. Meg got jewels, and she hung herself with them.
Overall, there was so much that I absolutely adored about this book. In my mind it was written beautifully, with so much dedication on the heartbreaking feeling that comes with loss. Not to mention the devastation it causes to the people left behind was so clear and enchantingly written that it was hard not to get lost in the recovery that the characters had to take part in. The only thing that I felt let down with was the romance, it just felt pushed and not even a little bit natural. Almost like it was an afterthought, which in sense it was as I didn't think it was needed in the story. All in all, I Was Here deals with distressing issues but is written in such a captivating way that it shows that there is always hope and it can always provide the strength needed to overcome the darkness of loss. 

I Was Here