Friday, 20 February 2015

Broken Skies

Written and Published by: Theresa Kay
Format: Kindle
Pages: 370
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository

Thirty years ago, civilization collapsed. Few survived.
Ten years ago, the aliens arrived...and stayed.
One year ago, I killed two men and went a little crazy.
Today, the alien took my brother and I'd do anything to get him back.
In seventeen-year-old Jax Mitchell's world, humans are nearly extinct and alien settlers have arrived.
Until recently, the E'rikon have remained segregated in their city and ignored the few humans who have tried to engage them...but now they have taken Jax's brother. To rescue him, she forms an uneasy alliance with a teenage E'rikon left stranded in the woods. She agrees to guide him to the city if he sneaks her past the human-proof barrier. Too bad its not that simple.

My Rating: 4.5/5

As I have mentioned before, for me, you can't get much better than an alien and human falling in love story. They are always monumentally epic. So you can only imagine how excited I was to get my teeth stuck into this book. To sum it all up, Broken Skies follows Jax in the search of her brother, after he has been taken by the seemingly peaceful although very bigoted aliens, with the help of none other but Lir, a left behind handsome E'rikon. So really it was already clear on how genius this sci-fi love story would be just from reading the blurb alone. 
I barely manage to conceal my snort. Emily flinches. I guess I didn't manage to conceal my expression.
There were so many times within this book that I just had to stop, take a breather and then carry on because there was just so much action, so much riveting storyline that I felt that my brain was spinning trying to take it all in. But this was a great feeling because not once did I get bored or uninterested in what was going on. This book had my full attention from start to finish. I was completely enamored with it. 
But all I want to do is move to him and bask in it. I'm drawn to him in a way I don't understand. That's what frightens me.
It is hard to narrow down the things that I love about this book into one perfect and simple review without giving too much away. But if I had to it would be strength and determination these characters project. They are living in a world where the slightest shift of balance would cause an all out war. They are on the borderline of conflict yet that does not stop them from putting everything aside to help one and other. It shows true character growth from both main characters as both Jax and Lir have to overcome their personal dilemmas in order to help each other out. I just love that about their relationship, how it shows the honest realism of burgeoning couples and brings about their flaws just as much as their strengths.
Without the oddly coloured hair to distract from them, his eyes shine out like emeralds set in gold. They are amazing and clearly nonhuman. Too bright. Too perfect. And I lose myself in them.
The only minute and minuscule downside that I had to this story was the fact that the book was entirely written in Jax's point of view. My greedy mind just wanted to get into Lir's head to see what he was experiencing and what he was feeling and this is only because there were times when I was a little confused by his actions. So when it came to trying to defend him from Jax's evaluations of the situation, I was short handed because I didn't entirely know what was going on with him. Which led to me wondering how I was meant to see Lir as the hero of the story without getting a full sense of his being. 
I've slept curled in his arms, cried on his chest, even kissed him and I don't even know his last name. Do aliens even have last names?
All in all, Broken Skies uses genius mystery, beautiful blossoming romance and a heart defying adventure to entrap readers into the series and not let them go until every last page has been read. The characters made me feel alive with anticipation on what is next to come and broke me with stunning twists that I just did not see coming. I seriously cannot wait for the next installment and I would recommend to anyone who loves a little alien and human romance that creates enough havoc and mystery to pull you to the edge of your seat with wonder. A stunning YA sci-fi read that has definitely become one my favourites. 

Broken Skies (Broken Skies, #1)