Wednesday, 21 January 2015

Pushing the Limits

Written by: Katie McGarry
Published by: MIRA
Format: Kindle
Pages: 392
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository

They say be a good girl, get good grades, be popular. They know nothing about me.
I can’t remember the night that changed my life. The night I went from popular to loner freak. And my family are determined to keep it that way. They said therapy was supposed to help. They didn't expect Noah. Noah is the dangerous boy my parents warned me about. But the only one who’ll listen. The only one who’ll help me find the truth.

I know every kiss, every promise, every touch is forbidden. But what if finding your destiny means breaking all the rules?


My Rating: 4.5/5

I can't tell you how much I loved this story. I absolutely loved the drama and sweet romance that encompasses everything. Noah and Echo had this insane chemistry from the get go and although I could tell that it was obvious that they would fall in love it didn't stop me from wanting to read about the journey. Pushing the limits is the first book in a standalone series, from Katie McGarry, that follows different couples as they struggle through their problems and fall in love. It sounds very fluffy but there is a lot of deep and meaningful points in the book that make you see how damaged, yet strong, the young characters are and how much they need each other. It was brilliant and had all the qualities that are able to pull you in and keep you gripped.
Luke used to give me butterflies. Noah spawned mutant pterodactyls.
Just like every young adult contemporary you have the misunderstood boy and girl falling in love and pushing against the odds. But what I loved most about this book was the character of Noah. He was so strong and cute yet was hidden by this bad boy persona, which was why I loved how misunderstood and protective he was to the people he cared for. It was just what you needed from the hero of the story. However when it came to Echo there were some things that I did not agree with, I felt that Noah was overshadowed and that Echo was somehow forcing you to like her more. Having said that she was still sarcastic and witty and so strong after what had happened to her, which is definitaly what I look for in a YA contemporary novel because it just adds something to the story. So there was very little that I did not agree with when it came to the characters. I also loved the fact that the book was written in dual perspective so I was able to get a better sense of the characters by diving into both of their minds instead of just of them. 
If you’re scared, tell me. If you need to cry and scream, then do it. And you sure as hell don’t walk away from us because you think it would be better for me.
Overall, Pushing the Limits is a brilliant and heart-wrenching contemporary that mixes young adult fluff with deep and scary issues to bring about and beautiful romance that makes you smile and cry in equal measures. Just when you think things are going smoothly a dip in the road pushes it off its happily ever after and has to work it to get it back on track. It never let me breathe for one second which is the main reason it kept me entirely gripped by its contents. I absolutely loved it and I cannot wait to continue on with the rest of the series.

Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits, #1)