Monday, 5 January 2015

My True Love Gave To Me: Twelve Holiday Stories

Edited by: Stephanie Perkins
Stories by: Holly Black, Ally Carter, Matt de la Pena, Gayle Forman, Jenny Han, David Levithan, Kelly Link, Myra McEntire, Stephanie Perkins, Rainbow Rowell, Laini Taylor, Kiersten White
Published by: Macmillan
Pages: 355
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository

Long cold nights are for falling in love.

On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me ...This beautiful collection features twelve gorgeously romantic stories set during the festive period, by some of the most talented and exciting YA authors writing today. The stories are filled with the magic of first love and the magic of the holidays.

My Rating: 4/5

My True Love Gave To Me is a collection of short stories, by many well known young adult writers, that revolve around Christmas and some going into to New Year. I was slightly worried about reading this gorgeously presented book (the cover is one of main things that drew me in) because there was a really high expectation due to the authors within it. I had read and loved many of the different authors stories before, but I do not have a great experience with short stories. I feel as though they always end to early. Having said this, I decided to bite the bullet because it was just too pretty and there was a lot of good hype surrounding it. So I am so relieved that it was so cute and every story was full of Christmas cheer that I couldn't not enjoy every little part of it.
Noel was her very best friend - even if she wasn't his. Noel was her person.
There were a couple of stories that I struggled to finish, just because I couldn't connect with it, but oh wow were there hidden treasures smuggled into the line up. These little treasures I found were mainly from authors I had read before yet I did surprisingly love some of the stories from authors that I personally hadn't heard about. In fact it spurred me on to try and find more books from them so that I could read more of their stories at a later date. They were just that good.
But people don't need to remember how it felt to be happy and safe in the past. They need to have hope that they can get there again in the future.
The Full list of ratings that I would give to each story are as follows:
Midnights by Rainbow Rowell: 5/5
Another genius little story that comes from Rainbow Rowell. Its seriously cute and still has all the witty and quirky, yet still so realistic, characters that are always present within a Rainbow Rowell novel. It was slightly different to the other stories because of the fact that it revolved around New Years instead of Christmas.
The Lady and the Fox by Kelly Link: 3/5
I did enjoy this story as it was really different from the others. But I found it really hard to understand what was going on half of the time. It was just a little confusing so I couldn't really keep with the story, no matter how short it was. 
Angels in the Snow by Matt de la Pena: 5/5
I loved, loved, loved this story. I really had no expectations as I had never read anything by Matt de la Pena before so it was really interesting to see his writing style and his characters come forth through a short story. They were really lovely and yet so sad but extremely relateable. Loved it.
Polaris is Where You'll Find Me by Jenny Han: 2/5
I found this story just a little meh. I didn't care about the characters or the story, although the most festive. I mean it was set in santa's workshop and north pole you can't get much more festive than that. It just didn't really grip and entertain me at all. It wasn't anything special so I found it slightly boring.
It's a Yule Tide Miracle Charlie Brown by Stephanie Perkins: 4/5
Another little gem hidden within this book. It as so cute and sweet and the characters were adorable. Once again Stephanie Perkins has created a perfect little story full of Christmas cheer. 
Your Temporary Santa by David Leviathan: 3.5/5
I had never read anything by david Leviathan but he is one of most want to read authors so I thought this story would be a perfect introduction to his writing and it totally was. I loved his writing style and there was so much meaning in such a little story. The only problem I had was that it had a slightly creepy feel to it, but that was just my interpretation of it.
Krampuslauf by Holly Black: 2/5
I could not get into this story for the life of me. I honestly found myself skim reading it because I was really not interested in it at all. Which is a shame because I have liked Holly Black's other short story which revolved around the Doctor. Yet with this one I just was not bothered.
What The Hell Have You Done, Sophie Roth by Gayle Forman: 5/5
Seriously Gayle Forman always writes pure magic. Every single thing I have read from her I have loved so it was no surprise that I fell completely in love with the story no matter how short it was.
Beer Buckets and Baby Jesus by Myra McEntire: 2/5
Another story that I could not get into. Again I found myself skim reading the story and struggling to finish it because I was just not interested. 
Welcome to Christmas, CA by Kiersten White: 4/5
At first I was a little scared to read this because I had never read anything from Kiersten White and after the previous story I was not sure wether I would click with it. But I was totally wrong. It was unique with a subtle hint of magic hidden within the story. The characters were quite deep but extremely relateable and I found myself rooting for their happy ending. 
Star of Bethlehem by Ally Carter: 4/5
I used to be a huge fan of Ally Carter and her Gallagher girls story and she was one of the main reasons I picked up this book because I was excited to read something by her again. Let me tell you I was not disapointed the story was unique, even if a little predictable, and yet it didn't focus on romance as much. Instead it focused on family and the importance of it. Seriously epic little story this one is.
The Girl Who Woke The Dreamer by Laini Taylor: 2/5
Again another story that I could not connect with. I found it hard to finish and I really couldn't help but skim read so I think I got a little lost as to what was going on. Which led to me feeling confused but I just was not interested in reading it properly so I could clear up my confusion.
Sometimes I feel like a shook-up bottle of soda. Like, I have all this passion that wants to explode, but I don't know where to aim it yet.
To sum it up, this book is a great little read for around the winter holiday period. It is full of Christmas cheer and doesn't have to be read all in one go. There were many stories that were just perfect and sweet and poured romance. Yet there were also some that were surprising and unique. All in all, My True Love Gave To Me has everything that would entertain you and make you feel all mushy around the Christmas holidays.

My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories