Wednesday, 7 January 2015

Dare to Kiss

Written by: S.B. Alexander
Format: Kindle
Pages: 325
Purchase from: Amazon

Besides her family, Lacey Robinson’s only other love is baseball. She’s on top of the world when Arizona State University approaches her to discuss a scholarship. To be the first girl ever to grace a college boys’ team is beyond what she has ever dreamed.
Her fastball is impeccable, her curveball equally as good, and her slider annihilates anyone who dares to step in the batter’s box. But fate has its own way of throwing curveballs. When she loses her mother and sister to a home invasion, baseball and her dreams die with them. Tragedy has a way of seeping deep into her psyche, causing nightmares, panic attacks and blackouts. Diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, her psychiatrist recommends a change of scenery and picking up the things that she loved to do, and for Lacey that is baseball.


Her life is further complicated when she meets Kade Maxwell, a tall, sexy and drool-worthy bad boy who has a magical touch that awakens her feminine side and a kiss that slowly erases her nightmares. But getting involved with him may be dangerous when Kade’s archenemy returns to town to settle a vendetta. 
To complicate matters, her PTSD has taken a turn for the worse. She has to find a way to heal otherwise she may not have a chance at anything in life, especially love.


My Rating: 3.5/5

I'm not going to lie, I have been in a major reading slump lately as I was finding it hard to finish books. So when I picked up this one I was hoping that it would be the kind of quick and easy read that would push me out of this slump and give me back my love of reading. I was totally ecstatic when this proved to be true. Dare to Kiss follows Lacey as she stuggles to cope with her PTSD and threats that joining an all boys baseball team produce. It is the first book in the Maxwell series and was a fast paced and fluffy read that completely gripped me so much so that I found it hard to put down. Yes, there were times when I felt that it was a little cheesy and perhaps slightly predictable. Yet I had this encouraging feeling that was pushing me to finish it as I just had to see how it ended.
Forget the tingles. My freaking belly had a thousand butterflies fluttering inside.
As I mentioned before there were times when the story became a little predictable and I did feel that sometimes Lacey would get slightly teen angsty about certain things but none of this took away the cute and fluffy feelings that I was getting from this novel. The story was very fast paced and while there were times when I felt that it would jump from on problem to another or that Lacey and Kade had the cheesy insta love, that is always present in new adult contemporaries, It still didn't take away how much I was enjoying this book.  It was just so easy to get lost in the characters and story. It was just what I needed and I had the strange urge not to put it down, which lead to me reading the book in one sitting.
The one place I loved was now officially my hell.
When it came to the characters within the novel, I couldn't help but love each and every one of them. They all had their problems which made them more realistic and they all had a really strong connection to each other. Yes it did have the predictable bad boy in Kade, but it also had the the broken girl in Lacey. The relationship they had was different to what I had read in these types of books before so I couldn't help but get excited to see how it would change them. I loved the Maxwell brother's bond and how close they were. Not to mention I loved Lacey's relationship with her dad. It was flawed but it showed much more deeper connections and how grief can help connect people but also change people. No one was perfect in the story, they all had their flaws but that just added to drama and made the story a lot darker but also more realistic. It was a unique way to connect the characters and I loved seeing each of them grow throughout it.
"Lace...you know I love you, and I can tolerate some pain...but I do need my fingers."
Overall I really enjoyed this book and it will forever be special to me, just because it helped pull me out of my slump. The characters, while predictable, were the best part because each one showed a deeper meaning then others I have previously read before. The only thing that sorta stumped my love for this book was how it would be a tad over dramatic at times and sometimes jump from one drama to the next. Like there wasn't any time for these characters to be happy. Not to mention the relationship between Lacey and Kade was a little insta-love but then what do you expect from a new adult contemporary. All in all, Dare to Kiss was a highly cheesy but scrumptiously sweet read that make you feel all mushy while also educate you on the troubles of grief and dangers of PTSD. I loved it and will definitely be continuing on with the series to see how the relationship unfolds. 

Dare to Kiss