Friday, 19 December 2014

Waterfire Saga: Deep Blue

Written by: Jennifer Donnelly
Published by: Hodder Children's Books
Format: Kindle
Pages: 373
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository

When Serafina, a mermaid of the Mediterranean Sea, awakens on the morning of her betrothal, her biggest worry should be about reuniting with handsome Prince Mahdi, her childhood crush. Instead she finds herself haunted by strange dreams foretelling the return of an ancient evil, and dealing with the deaths of her parents as assassins storm the betrothal ceremony, plunging the city into chaos. 

Led only by her shadowy dreams and pursued by the invading army, Serafina and her best friend Neela embark on a quest to avenge her parents' death and prevent a war between the mer nations. In the process they discover a plot that threatens their - and our - world's very existence.

My Rating: 3/5

Going into this novel, I was extremely excited but hugely anxious because a book that focuses on mermaids and their mythology is something completely and totally new to me. The synopsis of this book sounded extremely fascinating to me and I really could not wait to give it a go. Deep Blue is the first book in the Waterfire saga by Jennifer Donnelly and it revolves around Serafina and her mission to get revenge for her parent's death and not to mention trying to prevent a huge war that would shatter her newly crowned reign. I mean how can I not get interested in that? It has action and adventure and is all a part of a world that I have not even tried to read before. I was hooked, lined and sinkered.
Neela held her hands up. 'Wait...I need a zee zee. I won't get through this without one.'
From  the first page Deep Blue pulled me in with a creepy and intense atmosphere of Serafina experiencing a frightening vision that will not only affect her but her entire nations future. I loved the humour that laced throughout the action. Neela was perfect in breaking the tension which was absolutely needed because otherwise I felt the story would of been quite constricting. (This constricted feeling was down to me not having a proper grasp on the magic involved in the story world.) With the added humor it allowed me to relax back into the story and really be able to enjoy it.
That's what a leader does—she inspires other to believe in themselves.
The one thing that really stunted my enjoyment out of the story was the amount of information and confusing names and places that was seemed to be dumped in the story. It was an entirely new world but I felt as though you were expected to know everything about it before the story really began. So there were many times when I got lost and confused in the story because I didn't understand the magic that surrounded and was infused into the story-world. Then there was times where I just found the names hard to pronounce in my head so I found myself skipping the names altogether, which really did not help. 
She felt heartbroken and lost and scared of what lay ahead. And yet, alone at her work with cloth in her hands, and a sense of purpose in her heart, she felt something else too. For a few hours, she felt wildly, defiantly happy.
Overall this book is packed full of information that can be confusing at times but if you keep at it and persevere you do get a charming read that is full of hidden wit and some strong characters. I wasn't totally sold on the action and I did loose that gripping feeling that I felt at the start of the book but I did love the friendships that were created, most importantly the friendship between Serafina and Neela. It was a deep and loyal friendship that I just love to read, so it didn't surprise me that I forgot about the lost feeling I was getting most of the time and concentrated on the gratifying characters that were strong and inspiring. All in all, Deep Blue has everything that you would come to expect from a mermaid novel, it was enchanting and stocked full of word play that will keep you entertained throughout the entire novel.

Deep Blue (Waterfire Saga, #1)