Friday, 12 December 2014

The Scorch Trials

Written by: James Dashner
Published by: Chicken House
Pages: 359
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository

Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end. No more puzzles. No more running.
Thomas was sure that escaping meant he would get his life back. But no one knew what sort of life they were going back to...

Burned and baked, the earth is a wasteland, it's people driven mad by an infection known as the Flare.

Instead of freedom, Thomas must face another trial. He must cross the Scorch to once again save himself and his friends...

My Rating: 3.5/5

The Scorch Trials is the second book in the Maze runner series, which follows Thomas and his Glader friends as they are thrown into another mystery induced, action packed trial. Earlier in the year I read The Maze Runner (read the review here) and I enjoyed it, but I didn't love it. Mainly because I couldn't really connect with the characters, which was why I was a little apprehensive going into this one. However, I have to admit that, I did start to get hooked halfway through The Scorch Trails because there was just so much going on. Every small thing turned into massive action in every twist and turn thrown at you. It was hard not to enjoy it. 
He turned to look just in time to see the rain start falling out as if the storm had finally decided to weep with shame for what it had done to them.
The Maze Runner ended on a slight cliffhanger in the fact that it told us that not all was what it seemed and the Gladers weren't as safe as they believed. So as soon as The Scorch Trials begins you have this constant feeling that something big was about to happen and it didn't let you relax for one second because it threw you straight into the action that would be constantly happening throughout the entire story. Just like the first novel there is always something going on, no breaks just full on survival fights and plans. Which is the main thing that kept me entertained and engrossed, having the effect that if I put it down I would miss something massive. 
The chaos around him seemed to siphon away his humanity, turn him into an animal. All he wanted was to survive, make it to that building, get inside. Live. Gain another day.
Dashner has a great skill of writing this gripped feeling throughout the series because even though I still didn't particually click with the characters I still could not put the book down. The characters took a back seat with me as I felt the action and the story overshadowed them. The only one I really wanted to survive and stay alive was Minho and that was because he had so much personality while I felt the others were weak in comparison. Even Thomas felt less strong in this one compared to when he was in the Maze. So again I felt the lack of connection I had with the characters lowered the enjoyment I had with the story.
I'm a Crank. I'm slowly going crazy. I keep wanting to chew off my own fingers and randomly kill people.
To sum everything up, The Scorch Trials matches up to the enjoyment that The Maze Runner had. It had all the mystery and intrigue that was present with the first novel as you were never quite sure what was going on, which could be confusing at times, and not only this it was just as action packed and fast paced. Yet once again I personally found it hard to feel something with the characters, so I was not really fused as too whether they lived or died (apart from Minho... Minho had to survive) which is why I could not fall in love with the novel only enjoy it. However I still feel the need to continue on with the series because once again the story ended with a cliffhanger that is just begging you to find out what will happen next. 

The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, #2)