Friday, 19 December 2014

The Love List

Written by: Eve Devon
Published by: Harper Collins
Format: Kindle
Pages: 182
Purchase from: Amazon |  Book Depository


Falling in love is just not on Nora King’s To Do List…Neither is accidentally super-gluing her shoe to her hand right before the biggest presentation of her life!
With all the hard work she’d put into securing the family business after her father’s death, Nora has no choice but to accept help from a knight in shining armour.
Disaster relief worker Ethan Love is still haunted by his last deployment, and desperate for distraction. He’s in town to ask Nora for a major favour, and swooping in to save her presentation is a sure way to get her on side. 
As Ethan sticks around and helps Nora through her grief, her barriers tumble down…but will she dare to swap her To Do lists for a How to Fall in Love list?

My Rating: 3.5/5

I absolutely loved the beginning of this book! It was hilariously witty and just so chick-litty that I was in it from page one. That was it, I was hooked. The Love List is all about the relationship and grief that Nora King and Ethan Love juggles and holds. It's a really quick read that just screams typical chick-lit, the women falls hopelessly in love and they find themselves 'fixed' in the process. So you can imagine how light and fluffy I found this novel, with the right amount of sultry mixed in.
Love at first sight was for wish lists that you wrote with your favourite coloured markers when you were ten.
The characters are just as you want, the right amount of romantic and cheesy with the added helping of witty one liners that make you fall a little bit in love with them. I really liked that no matter how perfect Nora wanted to project herself I, as a reader, was able to see how much she was struggling over her father's death. It made her vulnerable enough that I was really able to connect with the characters and feel protective over her. 
'I fell a little in love with you the moment I saw you trying so hard to work out a way to make your meeting when you had a shoe super-glued to your hand.'
Another quirk that I liked about this book was the fact that it was written in dual perspective, so you got to enter both Ethan and Nora's mind, and it constantly switched between the two. I always love this when it happens in a book because you get such a better sense of the characters that it's hard not to love them both. It makes both characters extremely likable, so much so that when they are both feeling the same thing yet too stubborn to admit it I felt like screaming with frustration because I so wanted them to have their happily ever after already.
'Of course it helped tremendously that you looked exactly like my Love List.'
Yes there were many cheesy moments and some over the top happenings but it's what I have come to expect within a chick-lit novel so it didn't lessen my love for the book. I did find it a little predictable but I just couldn't stop myself from turning page after page because I had to find out how their little love story ended. It was so light and quick that I couldn't put it down and I fell a little bit harder for the characters when their need for each other became clear. Overall, if your looking for a cute and sometimes seductive read then you should really give the Love List a try, as its so quick to read and still has that all important impact needed for a chick-lit novel. 

The Love List