Tuesday, 2 December 2014

The 5th Wave

Written by: Rick Yancey
Published by: Penguin Books
Pages: 460
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository

On a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs.
Runs from the beings that only look human, who have scattered Earth's last survivors.
To stay alone is to stay alive, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan may be her only hope.
Now Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death.


My Rating: 4/5

The 5th waves features the adventures of Cassie and the life after the aliens came. Its a really intense survival story that shows the different paths that the characters go on after the arrival that destroys humanity. This book was put upon my highly anticipated shelf the moment I heard about it, because it had everything that I have come to love about a young adult novel. Drama, suspense, romance and action all rolled into one with the added bonus of aliens. So I was not really surprised by how much I enjoyed this novel, it had everything that I love and it didn't let me down in the slightest.
How do you rid the Earth of humans? Rid the humans of their humanity.
The whole mystery surrounding it, not knowing what is going to happen and what they are planning, just sucks you in and I honestly couldn't even begin to guess what actually was going on. I would think that I had an idea of where it was leading only to have the story shift and I would realise that I wasn't even the slightest bit right. It was compelling and completely thought provoking, I couldn't go one minute without thinking of the possibilities of the 5th wave. I just had to know. I also loved the two different storylines of Ben and Cassie. At the beginning I didn't realise how important Ben was so it was a likable twist that he got his own adventure storyline. To be honest I did prefer Ben's storyline to Cassie's just because there were so many twists and turns in Cassie's part that I found it hard to keep up with at times. 
I don't care what the stars say about how small we are. One, even the smallest, weakest, most insignificant one, matters.
If there was one thing that I didn't quite like as much as I thought I would, it would be the idea of a romance between Cassie and Evan. It just seemed really creepy and stalkerish between them. I don't know why, it might just be that I didn't really connect with Evan so I couldn't really see them together. Or it might be because I really wanted Cassie to be with Ben. Whatever the reason I just felt really creeped out whenever it came to those kind of scenes between them. Having said that I did love Cassie as a character she was strong and determined, so a perfect heroine, that didn't take any crap thrown at her without fighting against it. I loved it. She was a perfect character to get behind and it really clicked with whole atmosphere of the story.
Sarcasm doesn't appear to work on him. If that's true, I'm in trouble: It's my normal mode of communication.
So overall, It was a massively enjoyable read that pulled me in and threw me into surprising turns of events that I just couldn't see coming. The characters were great, the writing was epic and the story itself was completely enthralling and seemed so realistic that it left me seriously scared of an alien apocalypse. All in all, if your looking for an action-packed thrilling post-apocalyptic mystery then you should really give The 5th Wave a go.

The 5th Wave (The Fifth Wave, #1)