Wednesday, 17 December 2014

Love Hurts

Edited by: Malorie Blackman
Published by: Corgi Books
Pages: 576
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository

Malorie Blackman brings together the best teen writers of today in a stunningly romantic collection about love against the odds. Featuring short stories and extracts about modern star-crossed lovers from stars such as Gayle Forman, Markus Zusak and Patrick Ness, and with a brand-new story from Malorie Blackman herself, Love Hurts looks at every kind of relationship, from first kiss to final heartbreak.



My Rating: 3.5/5

Love Hurts is a collection of short stories that depict love in some sort of way, whether it is the beginning of love in a relationship to the ending of love. Every type is covered and shown in a unique and romantic way. I have to admit when I requested this book from NetGalley I didn't realise just how much of it was extracts from other books but it didn't effect how much I liked the book. In fact, if anything, it made me want to read the stories more, let alone encourage me to buy the original books, as I had just gotten a little sneak peek. So while there are many extracts within this collection don't let it hinder or take away the enjoyment from the other stories that are present. Because the other stories are also sweet and cute and deserve to be read. 
Maybe reading about love is our way of trying to figure it out. 
The collection starts with a new story from Marlorie Blackman called Humming Through My Fingers. It is a cute and strong story that really stood out because I had never read anything from a blinds person's perspective, which is why it was really unique to me. I loved how it portrayed a subtle hint of romance, it wasn't just thrown in your face, and yes there were some quite cheesy moments but I loved how it hinted at love can be seen without being looked for. Just like a blind person can see without the use of their sight. 
Out of all the original stories I think my favourite would have to be Gentlewoman by Laura Dorkrill. Wow that story just buried itself straight into my heart because it was so amazingly sweet and loving and real. I loved it. Completely.
'There's more to seeing that just looking Ethan,' I told him.
 As I mentioned before I didn't realise just how many extracts there would be within the collection but like I said it didn't really lessen the enjoyment I got out the book. In all honesty it adds to the effect the book tries to portray in showing you the ideas and uniqueness that comes from romance stories and their idea of love. I did get slightly lost in the pacing of the book when it came to the extracts. I felt that in some cases they lost my attention, just because I had already read the original story, so I did skip and skim read most of them as I had already read them previously. However when it did come to the extracts of stories that I had not read before, like The Infinite Moment of Us by Lauren Myracle, I found that I was once again absorbed and it really made me want to get the original book so I can read more of the chemistry between the two characters. I loved it.
But we hold hands. We learn. We laugh. Chalk and chalk. Cheese and crackers. That's it. That's our first date.
Because they are a collection of short stories each individual story is fast paced and extremely engrossing. If you read it all at one time it does feel as though the pace gets stunted because you are jumping from one story to another but it is still an easy and enjoyable read. All in All, Love Hurts explores the many ways romance and love can be interpreted. To be honest I would of liked more original stories within the collection, as I found them really fresh and unique, because they were normally revolving around something that I had not read before. If you're a fan of romance I would definitely give this book a go, as it's diversity will reach so many readers.

Love Hurts