Friday, 5 December 2014

Ghosting

Written by: Edith Pattou
Published by: Skyscape
Format: Kindle
Pages: 441
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository

On a hot summer night in a midwestern town, a high school teenage prank goes horrifically awry.
Alcohol, guns, and a dare. 
Within minutes, as events collide, innocents becomes victims—with tragic outcomes altering lives forever, a grisly and unfortunate scenario all too familiar from current real-life headlines. 
But victims can also become survivors, and as we come to know each character through his/her own distinctive voice and their interactions with one another, we see how, despite pain and guilt, they can reach out to one another, find a new equilibrium, and survive.

My Rating: 3/5

I really did not know what to expect with this book, it was something that I had never read before which is why I wanted to give it a go and requested it from publishers through NetGalley. I had never had the courage to read a book that is written in free verse and other styles and I really had no idea how much I would like this book. So it was a pleasant surprise when I found many things I liked about this book.
But a ghost. What a rush that would be, to see something from another world, something that most people never get to see.
I really enjoyed the pace of the book, it flowed really nicely and I don't know whether that was down to the different styles the author used for the different character narratives but it seemed to just breeze from one narrative to another and tell the story seamlessly. The was no hitch and that made it easy to read because it was just continuously drifting through the narratives. I also genuinely liked how it was set in two parts. The before and after. Again it was something unique that I had never read before so I honestly enjoyed how it was all set out.
I watch her go, helpless as a snake with its mouth sewn shut.
There were times that I did get a little lost in what was going on and because of the styles of how it was written I did find myself not really emotionally involved with everything drastic that was happening, Just because I couldn't really get what was actually enfolding. Having said this I did find it really easy to catch up to what I missed so I didn't stay lost for very long. But because I found myself trying to place what was happening I didn't really get time to connect with the characters because I was so busy trying to figure out what was going on. So while I loved the uniqueness of the book, I did find myself disconnecting from it really easily. 
We fit together. EMFAX. On this day. On this beach. With this garden gnome. In this new now time.
To sum it up I did enjoy Ghosting, mainly because it was so unique and something that I had never really read before. Plus I did appreciate the story because it was extremely dramatic and thrilling. Yet I unfortunately didn't click with it because there were times when I was completely lost as to what was enfolding and I never did get a sense of the characters because I was slightly overwhelmed by the vastly different styles of writing. All in all, it was a very likable read because it was so fast paced and was hugely easy to get gripped by. 

Ghosting