Monday, 10 November 2014

Where She Went

Written by: Gayle Forman
Published By: Random House
Pages: 288
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository

It's been three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life. And three years he's spent wondering why.

When their paths cross again in New York City, Adam and Mia are brought back together for one life-changing night.

Adam finally has the opportunity to ask Mia the questions that have been haunting him. But will a few hours in this magical city be enough to lay their paths to rest, for good- or can you really have a second chance at first love?

My Rating: 5/5

I cannot begin to describe how much emotion is interwoven throughout this novel. Every page is just a full on heart break that literally drags you down so you feel every hurt and downward spiral that the couple you came to love, in If I stay, are fighting against. I really couldn't see how Where She Went could be better than If I Stay, (you could tell how much I loved the first book with my review here) so I sat down and was just hoping that it wouldn't be overwhelmed with my expectations and that I would hopefully enjoy it as much as If I Stay. You can imagine how surprised I was when the impossible happened and I actually loved it a little more. 
Letting go. Everyone talks about it like it's the easiest thing. Unfurl your fingers one by one until your hand is open.
If I Stay was left on a bit of a cliffhanger so, for me personally, I was picturing the happily ever after couple and that everything worked out for the better with them. Yet when I started reading Where She Went I realised that this was not the case. And this is where the heart break begins. Literally this whole journey through the book captures the intense hurt and devastation that comes from a broken heart and I couldn't help but feel for Adam because out of all that happened he still didn't get his girl. Not only this but I was constantly wondering why and what happened and where the hell was Mia? It is because of these intense feelings and demanding questions that Gayle Forman has solidified the reasons why, in my mind, she is the queen of contemporary. Because no matter how broken the characters seem there is always the underlining hope that everything will get better and they will find their other half. Which is ultimately what you always want to happen for the characters. 
You don’t share me. You own me.
Even as I say this there was a long period of time where I didn't think this would end happily for either character. That Adam was doomed for heartbreak but that was made the story so gripping. We, as readers, were able to see Adam get all the closure he needed in just one day, which was just so sad but so lovely because he could finally stop feeling so crushed by everything and he could get a hold on his life. I literally breathed a sigh of relief because Gayle Forman had once again made it feel like happiness was achievable though all the sadness. 
I get it now. I have to make good on my promise. To let her go. To really let her go. 
To let us both go.
To put it simply this novel puts you in a breathless trance as you travel along with the characters and their farewell to New York tour. Everything is rounded up and tied in neat little bow to make up for the intense feelings you get when reading this series. I loved every little thing about this book, it was demanding and crushing but also so very uplifting. It was just fantastic. The characters grew up in such a short journey and you could really see the differences that happened within them for the last three years. I saw the emotion and felt it close up  that it was like I was watching a movie being played out in front of me. I got sucked into the story and fell in love with the characters all over again so I am so happy that they finally got the happily ever after. Simply a brilliant book that deserves to be read.

Where She Went