Saturday, 8 November 2014

The Witch of Salt and Storm

Written by: Kendall Kulper
Published by: Little Brown Books
Format: Kindle Edition
Pages: 416
Purchase From: Amazon  |  Book Depository

You don't know what you must give up to become a witch.
Avery Roe wants only to claim her birthright as the witch of Prince Island and to make the charms that have kept the island's sailors safe at sea for generations, but instead she is held prisoner by her mother in a magic-free life of proper manners and respectability.

Avery thinks escape is just a matter of time, but when she has a harrowing nightmare, she can see what it means: She will be killed. She will be murdered. And she's never been wrong before.
Desperate to change her future, Avery finds a surprising ally in Tane—a tattooed harpoon boy with magic of his own, who moves her in ways she never expected. But as time runs out to unlock her magic and save herself, Avery discovers that becoming a witch requires unimaginable sacrifice.


My Rating: 3/5

The witch of Salt and Storm follows Avery Roe and her mission to get her magic once and for all. To be honest I was interested in this book because I hadn't really read a young adult book that uses and revolves around magic. So seeing as the premise of this book just screamed out to me I thought this would be ideal in finding out whether this genre would appeal to me. It's because of this that I went into this book really excited and incredibly open minded as to what the story would be like.
String, feathers, stones, simple objects, but to me they were jewels, shimmering with the memory of my grandmother's magic.
Having said this, I found it really hard to stay with this book. Mainly because it was a lot of detail followed by interweaving family history. There seemed to be a lot of detail on whale harpooning and sailors which I understand were important, in order to give background information on the island, but I just didn't really enjoy those parts of it as much as I did the rest of the story. So there were times where I got a little lost in following what was happening when it came to these parts. But I did really enjoy the different types of magic within the story along with the added mystery that surrounded it. I mean there was different types of witches magic, from dreams to a bit of language magic, to tattoos and curses. So much information on different types and history of the Roe witch magic combined with the learning of magic from Tane. It gave the story a lot more depth to me and I couldn't help but love the magic lore that enveloped the whole book.
I pricked and prodded and pried, and I remained the same: a normal girl with a tempest of magic inside her.
One thing that really gave me mixed feelings about were the characters in the book. In some cases I really enjoyed the determination of Avery and how loyal she was to her ancestors. So I found that she sounded really well developed for a character and Kulper had allowed her to grow as a character as the story goes on. But when it came to the other characters I didn't see them as well thought out as Avery and Tane, they seemed to be important to the story yet I couldn't really get a grasp on what they were doing and how they grew within the story. In other words, I felt that they slipped when it came to character development and were not as developed as the main character. I did really enjoy reading the relationship between Tane and Avery, it was strong and filled with love. I just wanted more development of it, it felt as though it was one of those suddenly in love romances that happen frequently with YA novels. 
"I think..." he took a slow, rattling breath and brushed the knuckles of his fingers, gently, against my cheek. "I think...I am coming back to life."
Overall, there were many things that were enjoyable within this book, but there were also some things that I felt needed a little more. I really loved the magic and historical fiction aspect and I couldn't get enough of the mystery that surrounds the novel. You never really know how things are going to end so it was a complete surprise to me with how this novel did ended. I did like the characters but I think some needed more growth and development. The focus is only really on Avery so all of the other characters take a background effect, which is why I didn't really connect with story. Having said this, it was really easy to get stuck in to because there was so much going on that it never really gave time to breathe because you were thrown from one massive event to another. All in all, The Witch of Salt and Storm has a lot to offer to it's readers and if you just stick with it it becomes an interesting and slightly weird but enjoyable read.

Salt & Storm