Friday, 3 October 2014

The Giver

Written by: Lois Lowry
Published by: HarperCollins
Pages: 224
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository

Intelligence. Integrity. Courage. Wisdom.
These are the qualities a Reciever of Memory must have. And one more which can only be named, but not described. The Capacity to See Beyond.
Jonas lives safely within the community, a place where there is no war, no hunger and no pain. But when he is selected as the Receiver of Memory, he starts to discover dark secrets that lie beneath the surface of his perfect world. Secrets that will lead him to undertake an incredible journey...

My Rating: 4/5

The Giver focuses on the character of Jonas and his training to be the Receiver of Memories, a highly respected and honoured position in his world. I was immediately interested in the concept of this book because the idea of an alternate reality where nothing bad happens always intrigues me. However this world I found strangely gripping but also slightly boring. Don't get me wrong I really enjoyed this book but I didn't really feel as though anything really happened.
The man had sat back down in the comfortable upholstered chair. He moved his shoulders around as if to ease away an aching sensation. He seemed terribly weary. "Call me the Giver" he told Jonas
After reading the first couple of pages I fell in love with the way it was written. The compelling nature, I think came from the mystery that surrounds it. I was constantly wondering the intentions behind the elders, the people in charge, in this world. And what actually happening behind the scenes. So much so I was immediately gripped when it came to Jonas' training and him learning the secrets that are being kept from his community. Also I really enjoyed the world that it was set in, because it was so simplistic yet monumental when you think about it and it was achieved by just taking away the little things that I think are underappreciated, like colour and feelings. Having said this, I didn't really think much happened in the book apart from learning the secrets of this world. So in a weird way I was gripped but also slightly bored by the events taking place.
Jonas repeated it. "Love." It was a word and concept new to him. 
Overall I really enjoyed this book. I thought that it was a compelling and thought-provoking read that really made me appreciate the simple things. I loved the way it was written and the world that it was set in was really interesting to me. The way memories could be transferred and taken and the mystery surrounding the events really stood out as I had never read anything like it. The only downside I had to it was I didn't really think much happened it all just felt kinda uneventful to me. Having said that it was really fast paced and a quick and easy read that really got me thinking. Plus the ending of the book I really loved because it left you wanting more by leaving it slightly in the air and preparing you for the next novel. 

The Giver