Thursday, 9 October 2014

The Blood of Olympus

Series: Heroes of Olympus
Written by: Rick Riordan
Published by: Puffin
Pages: 608
Purchase from: Amazon |  Book Depository

Seven heroic demigods.
One final quest.
The greatest sacrifice yet.
After battling through the underground temple of Hades, the last thing Jason wanted was to deal with more evil spirits. But the fate of the quest was at stake. The crew of the Argo II had a big decision to make.

If they choose wrong, they would fail, and the entire would would be destroyed...

My Rating: 4.5/5

I cannot believe this series is over! I seriously loved every last minute of it and I could not get enough all the shenanigans and quests these heroes went on. In Blood of Olympus we are finally shown how the main quest, that started at the very end of the Percy Jackson series, ends. All the build up and all the side quests that were taken in the previous books all add up to this one big ending that was so epic that I am so overwhelmed by the emotions I have from it.
“What if we promoted, like, Adidas shoes?’ Percy wondered. ‘Would that make Nike mad enough to show up?" 
As like the rest of the series, the humor and wit was excellent and I still can't believe how easy it is for Riordan to make his readers laugh in high pressure situations. I was constantly like 'uh oh they're in trouble again but oh geez its still so funny'. The pace was still fast and still action packed from the get-go, there was hardly room to breathe before being thrown into another adrenaline pumping problem. It was brilliant. 
“He'd gone from sixteen to seventy-five in a matter of seconds, but the old-man smell happened instantly, like boom. Congratulations! You stink!”
The only minor little thing that stopped me from giving it a full 5 rating is because for me there wasn't enough of the old characters in the book or even Hazel and Frank seemed backlogged. I mean there's seven main characters but only 3 of them are at the focus and then 3 side characters are also pushed to the forefront so I didn't really get my Percy and Annabeth fix, or my Tyson and Rachel fix, because all the attention was on Jason. Now don't get me wrong I still loved the book and I think it was a excellent end to the series, I just felt as though it was missing some of the old flair that the other books had. Plus out of the characters in Heroes of Olympus I really didn't click with Jason, as I felt as though he was slightly boring and just 'meh', and as he was one of foregrounded characters in this book I didn't really click with his parts.
“Catch that last episode of Doctor Who? Oh, right. You were trudging through the Pit of Eternal Damnation!”
To sum it up, I loved loved loved this book! It had everything to make it a perfect end to a brilliant series. While it does end slightly open and up in the air, so not everything is wrapped up neatly, its not so big of a cliffhanger that you don't walk away completely confused by the turn of events. I adore Rick Riordan's writing and how he incorporates humor into stressful and dangerous situations. It is just brilliant and I cannot stress enough how good this and the Percy Jackson series are if your looking for a thrilling and fun read. 

The Blood of Olympus (Heroes of Olympus book 5)