Wednesday, 29 October 2014

Fire in the Woods

Written by: Jennifer M. Eaton
Published by: Month9Books
Format: Kindle Edition
Pages: 238
Purchase From: Amazon  |  Book Depository

When a plane crashes in the woods near Jess’s home, the boy of her dreams falls out of the sky—literally. 
But David’s not here to find a girlfriend. He’s from another planet, and if Jess can’t help him get back to his ship, he’ll be stuck on Earth with nothing to look forward to but the pointy end of a dissection scalpel. But her father runs their house like an army barracks. and with an alien on the loose, Major Dad isn’t too keen on the idea of Jess going anywhere. 

Ever. 
So how the heck is she supposed to help the sweetest, strangest, and cutest guy she’s ever met? Hiding him in her room probably isn’t the best idea. Especially since her Dad is in charge of the squadron searching for David. 

That doesn’t mean she won’t do it. It just means she can't get caught. 
Helping David get home while protecting her heart—that’s gonna be the hard part. 
After all, she can't really fall for a guy whose not exactly from here. As they race through the woods with Major Dad and most of the U.S. military one breath behind them, Jess and David grow closer than either of them anticipated. But all is not what it seems. David has a genocide-sized secret, and one betrayal later, they are both in handcuffs as alien warships are positioning themselves around the globe. 

Time is ticking down to Armageddon, and Jess must think fast if she's to save the boy she cares about without sacrificing Earth—and everyone on it. 

My Rating: 4/5

Oh wow, where do I begin with this book. I guess I should start with the premise. The whole alien and human romance thing, strangely enough, wasn't the first thing that jumped out to me with this book. The thing that really pulled me in was the idea of this 'genocide-sized secret', then it was the romance because who can't help but love a little romance between an alien and a human. I really liked the idea of mystery and secrets that would surround it because I felt that it would add a little action that is always needed in a science fiction novel. So that is basically what pulled me into this book (that and the cover because seriously it's so pretty) and I was really overwhelmed how much I actually enjoyed this book. It took over my life and I couldn't, for the life of me, put it down.
My eyes narrowed. "You can't be from another planet. That's called science-fiction. Accent on the fiction. It's not real"
I'm not going to lie, I was expecting a lot when it came to this novel because of my love of alien books being so high (You can thank Jennifer L. Armentrout and her Lux series for that). So there were a few things that didn't sit right with me, the main one being how easy it was to guess David's secret, but they didn't really effect the overall happiness I had when reading this book. I loved the determination of Jess in her quest to help, along with the absolute innocence David had with the things he was experiencing. It was so cute and the characters were well written enough that I was really enticed by their chemistry and affect they had on each other, it was sweet yet sometimes maddeningly frustrating when they wouldn't see what was right in front of them.  
Ugh, when did my life become fodder for a cheap science-fiction novel? I could see the teenage girls flittering about it already: super cute alien, stupider-than-thou heroine and a bigger than life story with no chance of a happy ending.
All in all there wasn't much that I didn't love about Fire in the Woods. It was fast-paced and witty writing with brilliant characters that crept past your walls and made you love them. The only major downside that I had with it was I found it slightly predictable at times, but then it didn't really affect my overall enjoyment of the story as a whole. So I easily was able to look past it and sink into the story again and get gripped by all the events transpiring in their little mission. It's a brilliant novel that really awakens your heart and your emotions and putting your faith in these two characters into succeeding in their quest for everything to work out happily for them. I for one cannot wait for the second book in the series, Ashes in the Sky, so I can finally find out what happens next and get stuck into the story once again. 

Fire in The Woods
Follow my blog with Bloglovin