Friday, 26 September 2014

The Heroes of Olympus Series


Book series: Heroes of Olympus 
Written by: Rick Riordan
Published by: Puffin Books
Seven half-bloods shall answer the call, 
To storm or fire, the world must fall,
An oath to keep with a final breath,
And foes bear arms to the Doors of Death.

Book One: The Lost Hero
Pages: 551
Purchase from:  Amazon  |   Book Depository

Three new Heroes.
One Missing Demigod.
A curse that threatens to destroy them all...

My Rating: 4.5/5

Basically this book is the start to the amazing heroes of Olympus series and is completely and totally brilliant. It is absolutely action-packed and fast paced from the very first pages. I was sucked into the mystery of where is Percy and I was gripped by the quest that the three new heroes set upon. 
“Can we just call them storm spirits?” Leo asked. “Venti makes them sound like evil espresso drinks.” 
I have to admit though I did miss the old characters and I was totally not satisfied on the absence of Percy. It was always in the back of my mind so much so that I couldn't completely give it my full attention. Even though I get the genius of starting the series with new characters,  I just missed the old ones a little bit. Having said that I did instantly like the new characters and I even fell in love with Leo and his unhelpful sarcasm and humor (it reminded me of Percy).  He definitely joined my top favourite characters. 
“You must forge your own path for it to mean anything.” 
All in all The Lost Hero was an amazing start that literally left you wanting more and reminded you of the brilliance and genius of Rick Riordan's writing. The characters were great but the story is where the book really shined. It kept you gripped and bouncing in anticipation of where the events will go in the future, literally leaving you in the edge of your seat and awaiting for The Son of Neptune.


Book Two: The Son of Neptune
Pages: 521
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository

One cursed demigod.
Two new heroes.
A Quest to unleash the God of Death...

My Rating: 5/5


Finally Percy is back, along with two new demigods, on a quest to once again help save the world. Again, I loved this book! Everything about it just screamed brilliant. The characters, story and world were still so perfect I could not get enough of it. 
“Reyna sent me to get Percy," Frank said. "Did Octavian accept you?"
"Yeah," Percy said. "He slaughtered my panda.” 
I felt that there was a lot more background information in this one compared to The Lost Hero. Camp Jupiter, the Roman camp, was finally revealed and it was so different to its Greek counterpart but it was still just as brilliant. It was clear where the differences in the two sets of demigods lie. The Romans were organised and structured, which was reflected in its camp, whereas the Greeks were a lot more free and wild. I loved this because it gave us much more information on how the Romans acted and lived.
“Life is only precious because it ends, kid. Take it from a god. You mortals don't know how lucky you are” 
Overall this book gave so much more information than the first book and I felt the connection with the characters a lot more, I don't know if this is because we got to read from Percy's perspective again and are familiar with it a lot more than the new perspectives we had in The Lost Hero. Not to mention it was still as action-packed and fast-paced and immediately gripping as any Rick Riordan Book so it gave you a lot more freedom to enjoy it.

Book Three: The Mark of Athena
Pages: 572
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository

One fatal prophecy.
Seven brave demigods.
A quest to find - and close - the Doors of Death.

My Rating: 5/5

Just when you think that the series can't get any better The Mark of Athena runs in. The whole book is just like the others, adventure after adventure, action after action but this one has an underlining quality of seriousness that brings the book to a whole new level. Not saying that the other two weren't serious but with this one you feel it more. It is the middle book, the middle of the big quest and you can really feel the danger that is about to happen.
“We're staying together," he promised. "You're not getting away from me. Never again.” 
I loved the fact that Annabeth and Percy were reunited, in fact I kept re-reading that scene over and over again because it was just too perfect. Plus the whole group of demigods finally meeting and starting the quest was also perfect. I simply just loved it.
“On the bright side," Percy said, "both Jason and I outrank you, Octavian. So we can both tell you to shut up.” 
All in all this book screamed intense action and perfect characters. It seemed to me that everything just clicked into place and we were finally seeing the dangers of what this quest and prophecy actually holds. It was just a brilliant book in a fantastic series.  


Book four: The House of Hades
Pages: 583
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository

A thousand deadly monsters.
Three battling demigods.
One fatal decision.

My Rating: 5/5


This is the last book before The Blood of Olympus and it is a stunner. Oh wow there were so many things that happened in this book that I just didn't expect. After the Mark of Athena ended I was thinking that things could not get worse than that ending but they did...and it was great. I was shocked and stunned and gripped and wanting more from the very start to the very end of this book.
“Tell the sun and stars hello for me.”
I loved that there were characters that appeared in the previous books briefly mentioned, in some cases like Grover, but also sort of a main character like Bob. I loved Bob he was so cute. I also loved how we got more information from Nico and eveything made much more sense when his secret came out. It was brilliant. 
Annabeth pressed her lips to Percy’s ear. “I love you.”
She wasn't sure he could hear her—but if they died, she wanted those to be her last words.
Just like the rest of the series this book was completely and totally brilliant. It grabbed you from the first page and did not let you go until the very end. It was fantastic with its twists that I just did not see coming and it really makes you excited and impatient for the last book in the series because you just cannot wait to find out what will happen with these heroes.