Tuesday, 30 September 2014

The Distance Between Us

Written by: Kasie West
Published by: HarperTeen
Format: Kindle
Pages: 312
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository

Money can't buy a good first impression.
Seventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers learned early that the rich are not to be trusted. And after years of studying them from behind the cash register of her mom's porcelain-doll shop, she has seen nothing to prove otherwise.
Enter Xander Spence—he's tall, handsome, and oozing rich. Despite his charming ways and the fact that he seems to be one of the first people who actually gets her, she's smart enough to know his interest won't last. Because if there's one thing she's learned from her mother's warnings, it's that the rich have a short attention span. 

My Rating: 2.5/5

The distance between us follows Caymen Meyers and her observations of people, in particular rich people and their arrogant ways. This book was okay, I just wasn't completely thrilled with it. There were moments when I thought that it was cute and funny but mostly I was just underwhelmed by it.
"Is that your subtle way of saying you missed me last week?"
To start with I didn't really click with the characters, Caymen seemed really rude and in her own way arrogant to me by the way she looked down on the rich people without giving them a proper chance.  While Xander to me didn't really seem very loveable in the beginning but he did grow on me more towards the end. Out of the two of them I definitely preferred Xander because at least he was a little bit more mysterious, like I couldn't really get a clear idea on his intentions so I was more interested in him. When it came to their relationship I just wasn't thrilled by it and was not cheering for them to get together. It  seemed very rushed and under developed for a contemporary read, so I felt like there was not a lot of thought behind the characters. 
Sometimes it's the little things that bring that special someone back to us in some small way.
Overall I liked the sarcasm and wit that the story had and there were times when I did think the characters were cute, but I thought that the story in itself needed more development. Plus I really loved the cover. It just felt as though it all conveniently worked out for the better, there was no real purpose to the story it was just done and then happily ever after. 

The Distance Between Us