Thursday, 4 September 2014

Isla and the Happily Ever After

Written by: Stephanie Perkins
Published by: Usborne Publishing
Pages: 375
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository

The café is boiling. The atmosphere is clouded with bittersweet coffee. Three years of desire rip through my body and burst from my lips: "Josh!" His head jolts up. For a long time, a very long time, he just stares at me. And then...he blinks. "Isla?"
Hopeless romantic Isla has had a crush on brooding artist Josh since their first year at the School of America in Paris. And, after a chance encounter in Manhattan over the summer break, romance might be closer than Isla imagined. But as they begin their senior year back in France, Isla and Josh are forced to face uncertainty about their futures, and the very real possibility of being apart.

My Rating: 5/5

For this book, we are brought back to the School of America in Paris to follow Isla along with her long term crush Josh and the twists and turns in their relationship. I would be lying if I didn't admit that, out of the three books in the Anna and the French Kiss standalone series, Isla is definitely my favourite. It was once again adorable and heart-warming but also devastatingly heartbreaking. It literally broke me in half when I had finished reading because I was so caught up and begging for more. It was completely beautiful.
Josh grins. It's wide and relieved and reveals a rarely seen pair of dimples. I could live inside those dimples for the rest of my life.
The story was just as fantastic as the other two and still had the hidden depths that lay in between the fluffy and romantic moments. But I felt as though Isla was a lot more heart-wrenching and I literally broke and wept along with the characters when things didn't go to planned. It was because of the heightened emotion between the story that made me fall in love with the book so much. The last part of the book had me hoping and crying buckets because I just got swept along and pulled into the brilliant story and I couldn't be released until I had read every last word.
It’s midnight, it’s sweltering, and I might be high on Vicodin, but that guy - that guy right over there - that’s him.
The him.
Once again the characters were amazingly written, Perkins has a knack for creating the best characters to capture you heart and make you root for the happily ever after. Isla was so realistic that I instantly clicked with her from the very beginning. Not to mention Josh and all his artistic brilliance that added romance to every part. I loved how every piece of art that Josh created was described so realistically that it felt as though I was able to view them through my own eyes. Like I was actually there, seeing it in real life. Like all of Perkins other characters both Isla and Josh were opposites but completely perfect for one and other. 
A blank canvas...has unlimited possibilities.
To sum it up, Isla and the Happily Ever After was fantastic. It was devastating but also heartwarming, cute but sad and you as readers can't help but be swept along with every little twist and bump that happens on Isla and Josh's happily ever after. The characters were just as you come to expect with a Stephanie Perkin's novel, they were perfect soulmates and perfect opposites. I loved how the characters from the other books are mentioned as it allows you to remember their stories and compare and love them all over again. So all in all everything about this book was simply stunning and became a definite favourite of mine from the very beginning. 

Isla and the Happily Ever After (Anna and the French Kiss, #3)