Friday, 12 September 2014

Geek Girl

Written by: Holly Smale
Published by: Harper Collins
Format: Kindle
Pages: 356
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository

“My name is Harriet Manners, and I am a geek.”

Harriet Manners knows that a cat has 32 muscles in each ear, a “jiffy” lasts 1/100th of a second, and the average person laughs 15 times per day. She knows that bats always turn left when exiting a cave and that peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite.
But she doesn’t know why nobody at school seems to like her.

So when Harriet is spotted by a top model agent, she grabs the chance to reinvent herself. Even if it means stealing her best friend's dream, incurring the wrath of her arch enemy Alexa, and repeatedly humiliating herself in front of impossibly handsome model Nick. Even if it means lying to the people she loves.
Veering from one couture disaster to the next with the help of her overly enthusiastic father and her uber-geeky stalker, Toby, Harriet begins to realise that the world of fashion doesn't seem to like her any more than the real world did.

As her old life starts to fall apart, will Harriet be able to transform herself before she ruins everything?

My Rating: 3.5/5

Geek Girl follows the misadventures of Harriet Manners, a super smart girl that gets scouted by one of the most famous modelling agencies and as a result steals her best friends dream. I found this book highly entertaining and incredibly fluffy, with adorable characters and in some cases meaningful story lines. There were some times in this book that I didn't exactly love but I still found this a really cute and fast read that really helped lift me out of my reading slump. 
"My name is Harriet Manners, and I am a geek. I know I'm a geek because I've just looked it up in the Oxford English Dictionary."
I loved the characters in the book. Harriet was extremely adorable in her self-doubts and quirky facts. I loved the loyalty of Nat and the weirdness of Toby plus the supportive-ness of her stepmother and the childish personality of her dad. I literally loved every single character, even Alexa, they all just worked in the book. But not only that I also really liked that the story had certain parts that were really meaningful, like how it dealt with bullying and self consciousness. It added a lot more depth to the story that is mainly comedic and light. 
It's the first and only rule. Magic comes when you're not looking for it.
Overall, Geek girl ticks all the boxes for a quick and funny read that has brilliant characters. Yes at times I did find the story a little unrealistic and slightly childish, but that didn't make the it any less entertaining. It was a fast read that literally had me laughing out loud at some points. I just couldn't contain my smiles and I came away learning some new things too all down to the geekiness of Harriet and the facts that sprout from her mouth. All in all, if your looking for a story that doesn't take a lot of effort to read and still has hidden depths and fantastic characters I would definitely recommend Geek Girl. It was a brilliant start to a fun series that will broaden you knowledge of random things and leave you thoroughly entertained.

Geek Girl