Saturday, 13 September 2014

Geek Girl: Model Misfit

Written by: Holly Smale
Published by: Harper Collins
Format: Kindle
Pages: 356
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository

“My name is Harriet Manners, and I am still a geek.”
Harriet knows that modelling won’t transform you. She knows that being as uniquely odd as a polar bear isn’t necessarily a bad thing (even in a rainforest). And that the average person eats a ton of food a year, though her pregnant stepmother is doing her best to beat this.
What Harriet doesn’t know is where she’s going to fit in once the new baby arrives.
With summer plans ruined, modelling in Japan seems the perfect chance to get as far away from home as possible. But nothing can prepare Harriet for the craziness of Tokyo, her competitive model flatmates and her errant grandmother’s ‘chaperoning’. Or seeing gorgeous Nick everywhere she goes.
Because, this time, Harriet knows what a broken heart feels like.


My Rating: 3.5/5

Harriet is back in this really entertaining sequel to Geek Girl. There are more model mishaps and relationship problems and so many random facts that still spill from her mouth when she is nervous. All around Model Misfit is just as funny and just as good as it predecessor. Once again I breezed through this book because it was just as fast to read and still so light and entertaining. I loved it. 
She wrinkles her nose and I wrinkle mine back, and I suddenly realise that it doesn't matter how far I go, or how lost I am, or how lonely I feel. I fit in here. I always will.
Just like the first book the characters were amazing and cute and I couldn't get enough of them. Even the 'villians' of the book were cute in their own way and once again we are drawn in by the misadventures of Harriet and her unluckiness that always seem to appear when she is on set. But there were a few times when I felt as though the book was a little too over-dramatic for my taste, when Harriet acts out on her parents and acts a little immature over the events that lead to her to Japan. However I still loved that there were still meaningful sections that happens throughout the book because it really gave you the ability to connect with the characters. 
It's 4:40am and i'm standing in the middle of a Quentin Tarantino version of Finding Nemo
The writing was just as witty and loveable as the first and again it draws you in and keeps you entertained throughout everything. Even when things get a little deep the writing still strangely keeps the atmosphere light. It was so contrasting yet so refreshing. I loved it and it is one of the main reasons this book was able to keep me gripped. Because while I love the writing, I felt the story was a little immature and overdramatic, which I felt is reflected in the characters personalities as well. But it was still highly entertaining and I couldn't put it down for a second.
That's the truth about people with obsessively organised plans: we're not trying to control everything in our lives. We're trying to block out the things we can't.
All in all, Geek Girl: Model Misfit is just as brilliant as the first book. It was sweet, cute and extremely witty. Not to mention the characters were just as adorable and I couldn't help but fall a little bit in love with every single one of them and their immature tendencies. All of it left me laughing and smiling, and in some small cases weeping, until the very end.