Friday, 26 September 2014

Fickle Friday Post

This week I thought it would be a fun idea to do a review with a slight twist. Meaning that instead of doing a normal review on a book I would do a film review that was based on a book. 
So for this weeks fickle friday post, I give you The Fault in Our Stars film review!


The Fault in Our Stars
Directed by: Josh Boone
Released on: June 6th 2014
Starring: Ansel Elgort, Shailene Woodley, Nat Wolff
Run Time: 126 Mins

My Rating: 5/5








To start with, I cannot tell you how excited I was to see this movie. I loved the book and I really wanted to find how it would be transferred onto the big screen. I was slightly worried because sometimes when a book gets adapted into a movie it can loose a itself in the process and what you love about the book can get lost. But I was pretty sure that that wouldn't be the case with this book to movie adaptation. 


The film's beginning was perfect to me because I loved the film poster so when it started with Hazel lying on the grass looking up to the stars I was just like 'Yep, this is going to be great'. I was literally hooked from the very first minutes. The actors chosen were pretty darn perfect, I adored Ansel Elgort as Augustus, and I felt that they were perfectly translated from the book to screen. It was like they had taken my exact imagination and put them on screen. So basically I could find no fault with the any of the actors and was constantly surprised by just how perfectly similar they actually were. Not to mention I loved that the most recognisable quotes, the ones that really definied the book, were kept in the movie. Plus the metaphors that make a john green book were also slid in there so fans of the book would smile with delight because they were not lost in the adaptation.


One thing that I was not expecting and it is slightly random was how much I loved the soundtrack. I loved how the song chosen matched the scene perfectly, when there was an emotional scene and nothing was heard apart from instrumental/background music it really affected the audience in a stunning way. At one point I was literally crying and all that was happening was Hazel driving off and that was all down to the soundtrack and the way it affected the atmosphere of the whole scene without you knowing it. It has definitely made me what to buy the film's soundtrack because all the songs were just too good and will indefinably remind me of the films scene in which it was played in.


As I expected the movie was definitely as emotional as the book and even though I knew what was coming I couldn't stop myself from hysterically crying over scenes being played out. I still smiled at the same points and I still laughed at the cuteness that was Hazel and Gus' relationship. It made me all kind of giddy inside to actually physically see it. I loved how Hazels back story was Incorporated into the film with the use of flashbacks and Hazel's voice over explaining. It really left nothing out, literally having everything it needed to have to get across the brilliant and heartbreaking story found in the book.