Saturday, 27 September 2014

Between The Lives

Written by: Jessica Shirvington
Published by: Orchard Books
Format: Kindle
Pages: 339
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository

For as long as she can remember, Sabine has lived two lives. Every 24 hours she Shifts to her 'other' life - a life where she is exactly the same, but absolutely everything else is different: different family, different friends, different social expectations. In one life she has a sister, in the other she does not. In one life she's a straight-A student with the perfect boyfriend, in the other she's considered a reckless delinquent. Nothing about her situation has ever changed, until the day when she discovers a glitch: the arm she breaks in one life is perfectly fine in the other.

With this new knowledge, Sabine begins a series of increasingly risky experiments that bring her dangerously close to the life she's always wanted. But if she can only have one life, which is the one she'll choose?

My Rating: 4/5

Between the Lives is a extremely powerful book that really encompasses you as readers to see the heartbreaking pull of love and heartwarming support of family. In one you have the seemingly perfect life, with the perfect family and the perfect friends and in the other you have the perfect man. Which would you choose? I for one was completely lost in her dilemmas and I couldn't help but feel pulled between the two on which one I thought was better. The plot was so unique and something I had never read before so I was literally loving every minute of it. It felt so heartbreaking but so refreshing just because it was so new and unique.
Hovering somewhere in between. Safe. That's where I stayed, all the time. Safe. Prepared. Alone. I have two lives and yet I'm a ghost.
The romance in this book was absolutely beautiful. They just seemed to fit and be made for each other. Yes there were times when I was completely frustrated with them, when I wanted Ethan to be a bit more open and I wanted Sabine to just wake up and listen. But it didn't stop me for literally falling and praying that these characters would be with each other in the end.
"I'm ready, Ethan. You were right. I was lost. But you found me, between the lives."
There were a few flaws I had with the book, things that just didn't seem to click with me. For one, I felt as though the book dragged a little in the beginning and slightly in the middle when Sabine was debating and planning between her two lives. It just seemed to go back and forth without any big reason. As well as this I did feel as though it was slightly predictable in some aspects, mainly the romance, and some of the main big twists I did see coming. But these flaws did not lessen the enjoyment I got out of this novel because I always seemed to be second guessing myself on what Sabine will do, I could never quite figure it out until the last minute. 
"P.S. Buy her a pair of jeans."
Overall what I think really made the book special was the fantastic plot and the well developed characters. I felt myself struggling right along with Sabine, when she was in one world I could not wait for her to be back in the other and vise verse, it just see sawed like that throughout the entire book. The abrupt way she shifted from one world to the other always kept me hanging on waiting until she returned. It was all just so mentally gripping and unique that I feel in love with the writing from the beginning. The only big thing that let it down for me was how fast I predicted the ending, I could see it coming so I was let down when this massive twist was something I had predicted halfway through the book. Apart from that I was blown away by this book, it was beautiful in so many ways and heart wrenching in so many others.

Between the Lives