Sunday, 10 August 2014

The Hit

Written by: Allen Zadoff
Published by: Orchard Books
Format: Kindle
Pages: 366
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository

Boy Nobody is the perennial new kid in school, the one few notice and nobody thinks much about. He shows up in a new high school, in a new town, under a new name, makes few friends and doesn't stay long. Just long enough for someone in his new friend's family to die -- of "natural causes." Mission accomplished, Boy Nobody disappears, and moves on to the next target.
When Boy Nobody was just eleven, he discovered his own parents had died of not-so-natural causes. He soon found himself under the control of The Program, a shadowy government organization that uses brainwashed kids as counter-espionage operatives. But somewhere, deep inside Boy Nobody, is somebody: the boy he once was, the boy who wants normal things (like a real home, his parents back), a boy who wants out.
And he just might want those things badly enough to sabotage The Program's next mission...

My Rating: 4/5

The Hit, also known as Boy Nobody and I Am The Weapon, is a really quick and thrilling read that follows a young assassin on his most difficult mission yet. My main thought throughout reading was 'Wow this is way too gripping'. I literally could not for the life of me stop reading. It was just too hard to try and put it down so in the end I just ended up reading it all in one sitting finishing it in a day and being blown away at how fast it ended. It seemed as though time just flew right on by because I was just so caught up in what was happening.
"There is always a moment before you choose, isn't there?" the mayor says. "A moment when you realise the choice you are about to make could affect a number of people."
At the beginning I was sorta dreading the book because it was written in a way that I was not really used to. It was written from the main character, a deadly trained assassin, so everything was written in a detached and cold way. But after the first three pages I got into it and understood it better, which lead to me realising that the way it was written was really effective in portraying the main character's mind. You really understand that he is a deadly assassin by the way he evaulates his surroundings and constantly assess what is happening around him. He is never once taken by surprise because he is always aware. Which I really loved because it was so interesting to see how unemoutional the assassin is. He really distances himself from things that we as 'normal' people would automatically feel and that to me is really interesting. Plus there was never an redeeming qualities about the main character, even he knew that, to him everything that was important was his mission and he could not understand when something made him deviate from it. It added a real naivety to his personality and I really felt for him even though to be honest he was a very nice person.
There will be another choice, a better choice, a choice I didn't have the courage to make.
Another thing I loved was the fact that Zadoff does not reveal the character's real name until the end of the book because it adds a constantly layer of mystery to the characters and takes away a layer of personality that we as readers are so prone to automatically see because we get to know the main things about the main character from the pages of books. But as this was taken away from us in The Hit, we look at the main character from a different perspective and it keeps that mystery alive. Plus when we do eventually find out his name I literally felt more connected to him because it was revealed at a time of great distress so you get the shock value and more from the announcement.
This is not part of my training, grieving people and aftermath. I do not stay for aftermath. Not usually. When in doubt, emulate.
There were a lot of things that I loved about The Hit. It was fast and exciting from page one and literally drew you in so much that I found it extremely hard to stop reading. It was like my eyes were glued to the page, nothing could distract me from it. The only thing that really prohibits me from giving it the full 5 stars was I did predict what was going on from quite early on so I was a little spoiled as too how it ended because I had already guessed what would happen. Apart from that I really enjoyed this book and I am really excited to see what the future holds for Boy Nobody and look forward to the following books in the series.

Boy Nobody (Boy Nobody, #1)