Sunday, 17 August 2014

Stupid Girl

Written by: Cindy Miles
Published by: TKA Distribution
Format: Kindle
Pages: 333
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository

Only fools fall in love...
After her senior year of high school leaves behind nothing but heartache, Olivia Beaumont is sure of this: She's no stupid girl. She sets out for Winston College, promising herself that she will remain focused on her first and only love - astronomy. But all it takes is cocky sophomore Brax Jenkins and an accidental collision with a football, to throw her entire year off course.

A quick-tempered Southie who escaped the inner city streets of Boston to pitch for Winston, Brax is known to play way more fields than just the baseball diamond. So, when his name is drawn to take part in his fraternity's hazing dare, Brax eagerly accepts the mission to take Olivia's virginity. But he doesn't plan on falling hard for the sweet and sassy Texas girl who sees right through his bad-boy persona.

As Olivia and Brax battle their feelings for each other, echoes of the past year begin to surface. A boy who once turned Olivia's whole world upside down reappears, and "harmless" pranks wreak havoc. Pretty soon the aspiring astronomer is on the verge of revealing her most difficult, heartbreaking secret. All the while, Brax must wrestle with the irrevocable dare, and Olivia struggles against all logic as she does the one thing only a stupid girl would do: fall in love.

My Rating: 3.5/5

I received this book in return for an honest review from publishers through NetGalley. Stupid Girl revolves around Olivia with her move from home to college and her troubles with a traumatic event that changes her outlook on life. I was really interested with this book because the premise just seemed really heartfelt and sounded like a really good contemporary read that I would be able to just sink into. At first I gotta say I loved the beginning prologue scene. The fact that you were with Olivia when she realised what had happened and you got to witness the event from her perspective, I felt, was really distinctive because you immediately feel protective of her. So much so that when Brax was introduced I really did not like him, at all. He just felt way to pushy and forward and the protectiveness that I felt with Olivia just immediately made me weary of him and untrustworthy. But this was in the beginning of the book, so my first impression of him changed dramatically.
Then, his head lowered, and full, firm lips covered mine. And he kissed me.
There were many things I liked about this book, the cover being one of them, but there were times when I did feel like the story was a tad predictable and it could drag a little. I mean there have been so many stories of the bad boy and the good girl falling in love and yet, I still felt that the story was so cheesy and cute and just lovable. It made me smile in so many places because Brax and his adorable accent made everything lighter when it was drowning in darkness. In turn, I was literally unable to put the book down when it got into the swing of things. 
And sometimes, what seemed like the stupid choices turned out to be the only choices.
At times there were parts were I felt that the characters were a little undeveloped for my liking, like Miles just focused on the main characters so much that the other characters just lost a little something in the process. Such as the main character Kyle, I had no clue as to what he added to the book, apart the beginning, he just seemed to be plonked straight in the middle and used as a scapegoat so much that it just added to the predictability of the story. It just didn't sit well with me. Plus I wasn't entirely pleased on how Olivia was so sure she was strong and it seemed to be screamed at you from all angles, yet at the first hurdle she crumbles to the charm and constantly needs saving. But then I was in two minds on this because I did sometimes like this flaw because it just added to the cuteness and made the character more relate-able and likable.
"You don't accept anything less than the one who puts you first, Olivia. Above anything else."
All in all Stupid Girl is a cute and cheesy contemporary that mixes in dark and thrilling story-lines to make the story that more gripping. I fell a little bit in love with Brax and the constant reminders of his Boston accent. But there were some little things that for me, personally just niggled at me and made the experience slightly disappointing in the fact that I found the story a little predictable. Having said this, I would recommend this to anyone who loves a little bit of cheesiness and are not put off by new adult clichés

Stupid Girl