Saturday, 9 August 2014

Elemental Reality

Written by: Cesya MaRae Cuono
Published by: Revolution Publishing
Pages: 249
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository

When Callie Pierce was ten, her mother disappeared without a trace. On the eve of her disappearence twelve years later, the Earth seemingly comes alive. The elements speak to Callie, and that's only the beginning. Everything she has ever known was a twisted fabrication to protect her. Now the truth is set free. Callie and her sister are more powerful than any faerie ever born. Now they have to use their powers to save their mother nd family from the evil hands of fate that threaten to tear them apart. 
Welcome to her Elemental Reality. 

My Rating: 2.5/5

Elemental Reality follows Callie as she deals with her growing elemental abilities and her trying to find out information about her mother who disappeared when she was younger. I have to be honest I did not enjoy this book as much as I thought I would, even from the beginning. I just sometimes found it a little boring and slightly cheesy in terms of the writing.
He kissed my nose and leaned his forehead against mine. "Epic win," I whispered and opened my eyes.
The concept of the book is really interesting. I love the idea of elemental magic type abilities where you are in turn with nature and the elements. But I just did not enjoy the faerie aspect. I have never really enjoyed books that deal with faerie myths and mythology so when it was brought into the book, I just lost complete interest. When the idea of a war being brought in I did gain interest but then I was slightly confused as to why the war started and I never did find out completely. It felt as though the reasons were rushed such as there is a war but we are not entirely sure why and the mother left for a really good reason we just don't wanna go into it. So I was constantly lost and trying to catch up and find out why all this was happening but I never completely got it.
"we're connected, Kitten," Oli said earnestly. "I wasn't lying when I told you we're soul mates. If we didn't have that connection I wouldn't even be here."
I wasn't entirely sold on the main character, I felt as though she was trying to hard to be funny. Her arguments with herself, in the beginning of the book, just went on and on and I felt as though it was overly trying to be entertaining. After the first couple of lines I was just like I get it your in two minds, okay you can move on now, stop arguing with yourself over and over again. Having said this, I really did like the fact that she was in her twenties because I felt as though I could relate to her more as she was around my age. Plus it was quite refreshing because I normally read books that the main characters are around 17 so when I saw that she was 22 I was like 'Oh this is different, I like this'.
What had I gotten myself into? An Aussie, you idiot.
Overall, Elemental Reality is a good quick read that has an interesting concept and at times little beacons of hope that shine through when things got slightly irritating for me. I gotta be honest in saying that I was not overly thrilled by the book but there were somethings that I did seriously like. Such as the relationship between Oli and Callie could be, at times, really cute and sweet and I did like the relationship Callie had with her two best friends. The more the story went on, the more I liked it. However I don't think I would be continuing on with the series because I got quite lost at points and as a result lost interest in the book that I had in the beginning. 

Elemental Reality (Elemental, #1)