Saturday, 2 August 2014

Champion

Written by: Marie Lu
Published by: Penguin Books
Pages: 353
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository

He is a Legend.
She is a Prodigy.
They thought their country was on the brink of a peaceful existence.
But a plague outbreak deadlier than any other has arisen and war threatens.
June is the only one who can save her county. But Day would lose everything he has as a consequence.
Who will be Champion?


My Rating: 4.5/5

Champion is the third and final book in the Legend series by Marie Lu and I can honestly say that this series has been fantastic! (read my reviews of Legend and Prodigy here) After finishing Prodigy I couldn't wait to start Champion because how could you not with that ending?! But I honestly was a little timid to start the third book because I didn't want it to end and I didn't know how it could top what happened in Prodigy. But then I started it...and from the very first page of Champion I was completely and totally sucked in. 
"Sometimes, the sun sets earlier. Days don’t last forever, you know. But I’ll fight as hard as I can. I can promise you that."
Seriously I have no idea on where to begin with this review. Everything I loved about the other two books just grew in this one. I absolutely adored the strength and development of the characters, even at their weakest they still are amazingly powerful. It was so nice to see the flaws of them as well, because it made them more realistic as it just shows that they are not these perfect and flawless beings that excel in everything. They have weaknesses and they make mistakes, but they always counter-act them and fix things and never give up, which I find so inspiring and encouraging.
It hurts every day, the absence of someone who was once there.
The book is again written beautifully and I cannot get enough of Marie Lu's writing style because it is simply gorgeous. She has quickly become one of my favourite authors because of the little gems of writing stamped in between the pages. The way that the book ended was something that had me crying in sadness but then holding on for hope because you fall so in love with the characters that you can't help but want the very best for them. 
“He loves you, really he does. He'd love you even if it destroyed him. He matches you.”
Champion had me crying in so many places and being on the edge of my seat in so many others. From the very beginning it seems to hit the ground running, packing in action wherever there is space making it a fantastic fast read that stays with you at the very end. Blink and before you know it is over. I cannot get enough of the characters and of the story. Every part of it is simply stunning. The only reason why the book didn't reach the full five for me was that I was just a little bit more in love with Prodigy, but apart from that it is the stunning conclusion to a brilliant series.

Champion (Legend, #3)