Friday, 4 July 2014

Throne of Glass


Written by: Sarah J. Maas
Published by: Bloomsbury
Pages: 420
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository

Meet Celaena Sardothien. Beautiful. Deadly. Destined for greatness.
In the dark, filthy salt mines of Endovier, an eighteen-year-old girl is serving a life sentence. She is a trained assassin, the best of her kind, but she made a fatal mistake. She got caught.
Young Captain Westfall offers her a deal: her freedom in return for one huge sacrafice. Celaena must represent the prince in a to-the-death tournament - fighting the most gifted thieves and assassins in the land. Live or die, Celaena will be free. Win or lose, she is about to discover her true destiny. But will he assassin's heart be melted?

My Rating: 5/5

I have no idea on where to begin with reviewing this book. It is just simply awesome. This is the first book in the Throne of Glass series about an assassin fighting in a tournament for her freedom, but with a price to serve as the King's champion.  I was so excited to read this book when I got it. Mainly because it had gotten such good reviews and also because this is the first really high fantasy book I have had the chance of reading, where the world is different from normal, with magic and fae and all sorts of epicness. And as a high fantasy book it did not let me down. I was sucked in from page one.
“My name is Celaena Sardothien. But it makes no difference if my name's Celaena or Lillian or Bitch, because I'd still beat you, no matter what you call me.”
When it comes to the characters, you couldn't get more kick-ass than Celaena. I absolutely adored her. She was strong, brave,intelligent and strangely caring for an assassin. All in all everything a reader needs for a Kick-ass heroine. The other main characters, Dorian and Chaol, were also really interesting to read. One being a Prince who is sarcastic, funny and hates his father and and the other being Chaol, a duty bound and loyal Captain of the Guard. Which is why, when it comes to the love triangle I am as split as Celaena on who to love the most. Both you are falling for and cheering for to win Celaena's heart. But what I also like is the fact that the love triangle isn't the main focus. There are plenty more things going on that it feels as though the love triangle is secondary, which I feel is unique and refreshing in YA book.
“Names are not important. It's what lies inside of you that matters.” 
There where times when I felt that the plot was a little predictable, so I was not surprised when the enemy was revealed. But it all built up to a fantastic ending where I just couldn't put the book down. The pace was continuous throughout the book and the narrative world was fantastically set up so I was never lost or confused as to what was happening. I love how the perspectives subtly switched to and from different characters. Giving a more clearer picture as to what was going on and how the other characters were feeling. 
Still, the image haunted his dreams throughout the night: a lovely girl gazing at the stars, and the stars who gazed back.
 Overall there was nothing that I didn't love about this book. The character's, the pace, the story were all fantastic that it all added up to a thoroughly gripping high fantasy read. The world, in which the book is set in, was amazingly set up that I cannot wait to read the rest of the series and get stuck into Celaena's adventures and escapades that are bound to happen. For the first high fantasy book I have read, it certainly lived up to it's expectations. I really recommend it to anyone who is interested in high fantasy, action and romance because this book covers all the bases. 

Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)