Thursday, 3 July 2014

Teach Her

Written by: Mark Kotting
Published by: Legend Press
Pages: 205
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository

A Teacher.
A psychotic ex-pupil.
A one-legged soldier.
Tension is rising as a diverse set of people struggle to live side by side in a small town, each one connected to either Jim January, a map of the world or a motorbike named Rocket.



My Rating: 3/5

First impressions of this book is that it is really strange. It took me a while to get used to the writing style. But when I did, I understood it a little better, even though after finishing it, I'm still not really sure what it's about. I think it's about a recently divorced family, the mum being a teacher and the dad being a barber, and their lives after the separation. All I really know is the book is a little weird, living up to it's 'quirky' description, and slightly dark. As it deals with suicide, separation, grief, abuse and slight hints of mental illness. Altogether I thought the book was ok, not really something that I normally go for but not terrible either. 
Some might see him for what he was, a middle-aged man who'd just been left by his wife, tapping on a window for help.
The writing style of the book was quite hard to follow, there were many times when I was lost to what was going on. Sometimes it felt as through it was jumping from one place to another, without really any explanation as to why. It would go from one character's perspective to another, so I found it hard to keep up. Just as you would realise it was from one character's perspective it would have already switched to another. The character's were also a little a hard to connect with. I really did not like Luke (the son) or Shirley (the mother), but I found Jim really interesting to read about. He was the most caring and likable out of all the characters in the book. 
The trouble with Jim and he knows it, knows it like winter follows the summer, is that he's not adventurous man.
Overall, there were points to this book that made it really interesting and times when the writing was descriptive and dazzling. Yet the book as a whole didn't really appeal to me. It was ok, but I felt as though I was just waiting for something to happen and if something did happen it was thrown at you then quickly moved on, but then brought up slightly later at random points. Making it really jumbled and sporadic in pace. I wouldn't say I enjoyed the book but there wasn't anything about it that made it hate it. So altogether it was an 'ok' book, just not my cup of tea.
Teach Her