Tuesday, 8 July 2014

Paper Towns

Written by: John Green
Published by: Bloomsbury
Pages: 305
Amazon UK: Paper Towns
Book Depository: Paper Towns

Who is the real Margo?
Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificent, adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she opens his bedroom window late one night and summons him to join her on an ingenious campaign of revenge - he follows.

After their all-nighter ends and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to find that Margo has not. Always an enigma, she now becomes a mystery and Q soon learns that there are clues to be followed in his search for Margo.

My Rating: 5/5

This is the second John Green book that I have read, the first being The Fault in Our Stars, and I can tell you that I loved this one as much as the first. I was gripped as soon as I had finished the prologue. Paper Towns follows Quentin and his obsession/love for his old childhood friend Margo, which leads him on several 'missions' with Margo after she shows up unannounced and unexpected one night, outside his window, asking for his help. And just like that the funny and brilliant writing of John Green is unleashed. Allowing you to be completely drawn in from beginning to end without even wondering that it can't possibly get any better than this. 
Margo Roth Spiegelman, whose six-syllable name was often spoken in its entirety with a kind of quiet reverence.
The book is split into three parts. I absolutely adored the first part, it ticked every box for amazing introductions to the characters. I loved Q, Ben, Radar, the relationship the three had was so fun and wholesome you really got the impression that they were best friends. Not to mention Q was so sweet in his devotion to Margo, that I felt slightly bad for him but I was just swept along with the adventure that she took him on. It was constantly fun to read and I couldn't put it down for a minute. 
'She kind of hates Orlando; she called it a paper town. Like you know, everything so fake and flimsy.'
Part two was completely different from part one of the book, it felt slowed down yet so many things were happening at the same time. It might be my least enjoyed part but it is still fantastic in it's entirety. It still keeps you gripped and interested. But then things definitely picked up in Part 3 and we, as readers are once again thrown into the action in a thrilling race. It literally picked the book up and it was like it started again. 
She wanted me to play out the string, to find the place where she had stopped and was waiting for me, to follow the bread crumb trail until it dead-ended into her
As characters go, John Green has once again written them beautifully. They felt real and genuine. Every single one you can't help but love and cheer them on. It was a continuous race and game and I was literally smiling and shouting at them with my ideas on the clues. And that is the beauty of John Green's writing, you get so drawn in that you can't help but participate in the action, can't help but get caught up in it. 
'A paper town for a paper girl,'
So once again, my love for this book has achieved it a 5/5 rating. It is just simply stunning, well thought out and really well told, which just adds to the beauty of it. The characters, the plot, the writing is spectacular and I love how the book ended. It may not be what everyone wants but its what had to happen because to change it would be to change his characters and that would just be completely wrong. All in all, it is another John Green book that is a fantastic read and I highly recommend it to everyone. 

Paper Towns