Sunday, 20 July 2014

Legend

Written by: Marie Lu
Published by: Penguin
Pages: 295
Purchase from: Amazon | Book Depository

Los Angeles, California, Republic of America
He is Day, The boy who walks in the light.
She is June, The girl who seeks her brother's killer.
On the run and undercover, they meet by chance.
Irresistibly drawn together.
Neither knows the other's past.
But Day murdered June's brother 
And she has sworn to avenge his death...



My Rating: 4.5/5

Let me start by saying that I loved this book, I really did.  Legend follows the most wanted criminal in the republic of America, an agile boy named Day, and a prodigy of the trials named June, the girl that is desperate to avenge her brothers death. That's as simple as I can put it without giving any spoilers. I'm not really a huge fan of dystopians, mainly because I can get really confused about the worlds that they are written in. So when I started this book I was really unsure on how I would find it. So I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed this book and how much I couldn't put it down for a second.
The memory fades, and I’m left hanging on to the ghosts of his words.
The way legend was written with two narrators instead of just using one character's narration was a welcome surprise for me. I love how you are allowed to look into both the character's minds instead of just one. All of this helped me figure out that in the beginning I really did not like June. I found her stuck up and selfish and was not able to find a hint of respect for her that would make me like her. Which is why I instantly was cheering for Day from the very beginning, his is the first narration you read so I feel as though you are encouraged to like him. However as the story went on I really loved how June's character grew and developed, the subtle little things that made you see that her mission changed and affected her. So I in turn grew to love her just as much as I did Day.
“Each day means a new twenty-four hours. Each day means everything's possible again. You live in the moment, you die in the moment, you take it all one day at a time."
Another thing that I loved about this book was the level of mystery that was enveloped within it. It made it all the more interesting and engrossing. Plus it made the twists and turns so much more special because you were not expecting it. But then again in some ways you were expecting something. As confusing as that sounds. Not to mention it packs in the action at every possibility. You are never waiting for something big to happen as it seems as though something big is constantly happening.
“If you want to rebel, rebel from inside the system.That's much more powerful than rebelling outside the system.”
Overall I found this book an action packed novel, laced with mystery and encompassing a sweet and defining romance. The characters are well developed and amazingly written, the story is completely gripping and fun to read. It's not all doom and gloom, which is something I find a lot in dystopian novels. The only thing that stopped me from giving it a full 5 rating was the fact that I didn't really understand the world it was written in. There was hints of some back story hidden throughout the book but it didn't really go into a lot of detail as to why the War started, what caused the society to change and who the colonies and the patriots really were. Having said that, Legend engrossing read full of adventure and after finishing you will be desperate to read the sequels to find out what happens next.


Legend (Legend, #1)