Thursday, 24 July 2014

If I Stay

Written by: Gayle Forman
Published by: Black Swan
Pages: 250
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository

The last thing Mia remembers is the music.
After the accident, she can still hear it. And she can see her damaged body being taken from the wreck of her parents' car - even though she can't feel a thing.

All she can do is watch as doctors rush to save her life, as her friends and relatives gather outside her room, as the boy she loves struggles to be near her.

As the next twenty-four hours unfold, Mia must come to terms with what came before the crash - and what could come after. And she knows she must make the most difficult choice of all.
If she stays...

My Rating: 5/5

If I Stay is a gorgeous book that deals with death, family, love, and grief so as you can tell it is quite a complex novel that deals with complex issues that all happen between a really short time period. There are a lot of things that really move me about this story. It had me crying and smiling and then crying and then smiling over and over again. I didn't know what was coming next and it kept me on the edge of my toes the entire way through. 
I realize now that dying is easy. Living is hard.
The story in this novel is utterly heartrendingly beautiful. The way it is told as well is quite unique, I certainly haven't read anything where it skips from present time to random but relevant flashbacks as you read more about the characters. Yet even with the flashbacks the pace and the flow of the book was never interrupted, never slow and plodding along through the story. Which is something that I loved about the book because it helped keep me gripped from page one. So gripped in fact that I read the book in a only one whole day!
I'm not sure this is a world I belong in anymore. I'm not sure that I want to wake up.
And if for any reason you did not particularly like the story there is not a shadow of a doubt that you won't love the characters. The family dynamic in the book is amazingly sweet and adoring. The romantic relationship is so strong and loving that even though you don't get to be there at the beginning of it I got a real feel of how caring and in love they were and felt for each other. But another loving part is the friendships and how real they sounded. It was beautiful.
Love, it never dies. It never goes away, it never fades, so long as you hang on to it. Love can make you immortal 
All in all there is not a thing that I found wrong or did not like about this book. Everything about it was heart-breakingly and breathlessly beautiful. I could not put it down and I can not wait to read the sequel and find out if love really is strong enough to survive their grief and troubles. Not to mention I cannot wait to see how the book is depicted and made into the film. It was a touchingly gorgeous read that had me switching from crying rivers to cheshire cat smiling throughout. 


If I Stay (If I Stay, #1)