Saturday, 14 June 2014

The Maze Runner

Written by: James Dashner
Published by: The Chicken House (UK, 2011 Edition)
Pages: 371
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository


When the doors of the lift crank open, the only thing Thomas can remember is his first name. But he's not alone. He's surrounded by boys who welcome him to the Glade, an encampment at the centre of a bizarre and terrible maze.
Like Thomas, the Gladers don't know why or how they came to be there, or what's happened to the world outside. All they know is that every morning when the walls slide back, they will risk everything to find out.


My Rating: 3.5/5


When I started this book, I was extremely excited because I had heard good things about it and was told that if I was a fan of the hunger games then this book would be right up my street. I was imagining it to be an amazing dystopian book that would have me gripped from page one. But after the first 100 pages I realised that I had too high expectations and unfortunately it was not looking up to it. Which is why this book has me so conflicted on what to rate it because at some points I love it and at others I don't. 
"If you ain't scared...you ain't human"
Yet there are still many things that I did like about this book. I liked the mystery and the concept that surrounds the series. You are constantly wondering why the Gladers were there, what was the purpose of the maze, and this lasted throughout the book and kept you reading. But then I didn't like how drawn out it was in the first part. I felt that there wasn't any important action happening until the middle-end of the book, so I was constantly urging myself to keep at it. It will get better. And I'm glad I did because it did indeed get better. 
"You get lazy, you get sad. Start givin' up. Plain and Simple."
The second half of the book is when I started to really enjoy it. I started to get the gripped feeling, where you cannot put the book down because you just had to know what happens. The pace became fast moving and the mystery and action started to get bigger and better, which was not seen in the first part. I just loved the twist at the end. I did not expect it and it is all this that making me what to continue on with the series. Because really? how can you not be curious as to what happens next with that ending epilogue!
"You are the shuckiest shuck-faced shuck there ever was." 
Another thing I did like was some of the characters, not all of them but some. Some characters I absolutely adored (Chuck and Newt) but others I was just so uninterested in. The main character Thomas had me so confused because his brain was just so all over the place I couldn't quite decide if I wanted to hug him or hit him. But I spose that was the point of the plot, to have characters so confused and jumbled that they didn't know what was going on so in turn neither did you. I just felt that I had no clue as to what was happening so I couldn't connect with the characters like I wanted to. Yet I loved the subtle loyalty and friendship Newt offered and the vulnerability of Chuck, that just made me what to kiss them and cheer at the little things they did. Having said this, I did warm to Thomas and Theresa near the end of the book and I am curious as to how they will be like in the second book, which is another reason as to why I want to continue the series.
All the same, Thomas now had a plan. As bad as it was, he had a plan. They needed more clues about the code. They needed MEMORIES.
Overall, as a book there were so many things that had me going back and forth on whether I loved it or hated it. I loved the plot, the pacing of the second half of the book and some of the characters. But then I hated the pacing at the beginning of the book and was completely confused as to what was going on due to the writing style and confusion the characters themselves were going through. It made it very muddled and hard to understand, which in turn made it quite boring and hard to keep going. This is ultimately why the rating is 3.5, because what I loved about the book happened in the second half. While at the beginning I was constantly urging myself to just stick with it and not give up, at the end I just couldn't put it down and was thoroughly gripped. All in all making me want to continue with the series because I am curious and looking forward as to what happens next. 

The Maze Runner