Monday, 23 June 2014

The Magpies

Written by: Mark Edwards
Published by: Thomas & Mercer
Format: Kindle
Pages: 329
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository

Fear lives next door...
When Jamie and Kirsty move into their first home together, they are full of optimism. The future, in which they plan to get married and start a family, is bright. The other residents of their building seem friendly too, including the Newtons, a married couple who welcome them to the building with open arms. 
But then strange things start to happen. Dead rats are left on their doorstep. They hear disturbing noises, and much worse, in the night. After Jamie's best friend is injured in a horrific accident, Jamie and Kirsty find themselves targeted by a campaign of terror.
As they are driven to the edge of despair, Jamie vows to fight back - But he has no idea of what he is really up against...

My Rating: 4.5/5

This is Mark Edwards first solo novel, and I have to say that I was intrigued and super engrossed from page one. I am not really a massive fan of thrillers, as I get scared easily, but The Magpies has a way of keeping me completely gripped no matter how scared I was getting, I just couldn't put the book down. I think it was because I was more curious as too how the book would end and had to find out, even if I will be forever scared of potential future neighbours!
As the music played she would see herself walking down the hall to meet her enemies, the architects of her living hell.
From the get go, I was pulled into the book due to feeling of total helplessness and frailty of the character and her experiences of the place that she was leaving. So I was consumed by curiosity as to what had happened to drive this women to want to live in place far from people and erase all traces of herself. And I was not let down in believing that whatever had caused this had been terrifying. But what mostly kept me reading was that the book was more psychological than physically terrifying. So you are constantly kept wondering whether all the things happening is actually happening or if the characters are only going mad and imaging these things. Making it so that you are always questioning what the heck is going on!
Recently, he'd started to picture her with a baby bump. It was like watching an advert of their future life.
When Kirsty and Jamie are introduced in the book, I was overwhelmed by the love they showed to one and other. Along with the excitement that they had towards having a their own place. It was all just so cute and realistic, which is a compliment to the writing style of Mark Edwards because I felt myself getting carried along with the character's excitement. Forgetting about the scared feeling I was getting when I had started this book. Making it more real and gripping when small things started to happen that disrupted the characters happiness.
He sat beside the phone, every muscle in his body tense. The phone rang. Once, twice. Went dead.
I also loved the style of Edward's writing, the different atmospheres that he created I felt were fantastic. As they constantly contrasted, especially at the beginning when you were feeling terror at one point and then love and excitement at another. I also loved how he drew in the little things that made you start to wonder that something wasn't quite right. It makes you feel as though not everything is quite so safe as it appeared to be, yet it doesn't go straight into the thriller side of it either. It allows you to constantly be aware that something isn't quite right, even if it is telling you otherwise. The descriptive nature that is present within his writing was so beautifully done that you are constantly made to feel what the characters are feeling. Be it excitement or wonderment, terror or desperation, everything is being felt as though you are experiencing everything for yourself. Just simply brilliant.
It was Lucy. She had found him. His heart yo-yoed into his stomach. 
This book is a fantastic terrifying read that will have you gripped from the get go! Not to mention that it will stay with you long after you have finished reading it. The way in which Edwards drew in all the weird unexplained things that happened in the book and bound them together in the conclusion of the book really ended it beautifully. I couldn't imagine how it could of ended any other way. Overall, it is this book that has started my love for thrillers and I cannot wait to get my hands on more of Mark Edwards novels.
The Magpies