Friday, 27 June 2014

Coin Heist

Written by: Elisa Ludwig
Published by: Adaptive Studios
Format: Kindle Edition
Pages: 304
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository


The last place you'd expect to find a team of criminals is at a prestigious Philadelphia prep school. But on a class trip to the U.S. Mint - which prints a million new coins every 30 minutes - an overlooked security flaw becomes far too tempting for a small group of students to ignore. United by dire circumstances, these unlikely allies - the nerd, the slacker, the athlete, and the perfect student - band together to attempt the impossible: rob the U.S. Mint. This diverse crew is forced to confront their true beliefs about each other and themselves as they do the wrong thing for the right reasons.

My Rating: 3.5/5

This book has me really conflicted because there are lots of things I like about this book and a lot of things I'm not really sure about. The story itself follows 4 different prep school kids planning a heist to try and save their school. For starters, I really liked how the perspectives switch and change from one character to another as you get a really clear idea of the character's personality and reason as to why they agreed to do this heist. Plus you feel how the school scandal affected each of the characters. You also got a look into all their secrets that they try to hide and it makes you sympathise and connect with them even more. 
Dakota had even given our mission a name: Operation EagleFly, after the mint mascot.
But then I didn't really like how it took a long time to get into the main story. I understand why you needed a backstory as a reader to understand the events that will take place but I just felt that it was a little too dragged out for my liking. I was just wanting the book to get on with it, so I can read a little action. Although I did like how you were subtly introduced to the idea of the group becoming friends. It wasn't suddenly but it was drawn out in a realistic way so you as the reader could tell that they were becoming closer, even if the characters hadn't realised it yet. But then I felt the relationships that formed between them was a little predictable so I wasn't really surprised when they happened. You see what I mean by conflicted feelings?
No one said we all had to best friends. We just had to get this done.
When the heist actually started the books pace started to get faster, which I liked because it started to grip you and make you want to read on to find out if they would actually pull it off and how they would do it. Because even though all the planning was slightly explained in the book, you weren't told what they would actually do. So it made it a little more surprising and interesting when it actually happened in the book. I was surprised by how easy it sounded to be honest. 
It was, of course, a little dangerous - evidence of our crime. But it was more than that. It was a reminder of what we could do, and who we could be, given the chance
Overall, I liked this book. I didn't love it, but I liked it. The characters were good but a little self centered and petty at times. I liked the plot but not the pace of the story. And I liked how the book was written in different perspectives, so you got to see all the characters not just one. So, like I said, I'm really in two minds about the book because it's good but it's not really something that I really enjoy. Having said this, I would recommend it to Young Adult readers because it does have an interesting plot and storyline and a good writing style. So if you looking for something that's quite quick to read and not too mind consuming this book would be good for you.

Coin Heist