Monday, 19 May 2014

Half Bad

Written by: Sally Green
Published by: Puffin Books (UK)
Pages: 380
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository

You can't read, can't write but you heal fast, even for a witch.
You get sick if you stay indoors after dark.
You hate White Witches but love Annalise, who is one.
You've been kept in a cage since you were fourteen.
All you've got to do is escape and find Mercury,the Black Witch who eats boys. And do that before your seventeenth birthday.
Easy.

My Rating: 4/5 

I am very conflicted about this book because while I love the writing style and world of this book I have different views on the pacing and some of the romance aspects within it. The book follows Nathan a half white and half black witch born in a world of white and bad witches being at war with each other. White witches hate black witches and are tasked with the extermination of them. 

     That's the mantra I repeat to myself. There are millions, billions, of possible futures.
     And I won't kill him. I know that. He's my father.
     I won't kill him.

What I found most interesting about this book was how it was written in second person narrative. It was unique and is extremely effective in drawing you into the book and making you connect with the main character Nathan. Having said this, I felt the pace of the book let it down a little, which is why I personally gave it 4 out of 5 stars. I felt that the first half of the book you were just waiting for it to pick up and it got slightly boring when it didn't. However the second half of the book felt rushed as in the major conflict just happened. It didn't feel like it was important, when it was meant to be. 

    A whistle sounds: a Hunter's call to her partner. Now I run. 

Although I felt the pace of the book let it down a little, I fell in love with the character of Nathan. His naivety and strong willed personality made him shine in my eyes, as he sounded like a child but acted like an adult which I thought was very unique and strangely comforting. Which is why I had a little trouble connecting with his love interest as I felt she was not good enough for him and something seemed a little off with her. But all in all the characters within the book added to the intrigue and you couldn't help but fall in love with some of them. 

Honestly I was stuck when trying to rate this book, because I absolutely adore the character of Nathan but I wasn't too thrilled with how the book was paced, which I talked about before. So 
If you are looking for a book that has some dark and disturbing aspects but with characters that set the books tone and intrigue then I would say that this book would be perfect. The writing style and characters allow you to immerse yourself in their world and be down right shocked and scared,when reading about Nathan's exploits,makes this book a fantastic read.  Yet just be warned that the pace of the book starts off a little slow but it is worth it to keep reading to find out the twists and turns that Sally Green effectively produces. 

Half Bad (Half Life, #1)