Friday, 23 May 2014

Amy & Roger's Epic Detour

Written By: Morgan Matson
Published By: Simon & Schuster
Pages: 352
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository

It wouldn't be a road trip without some detours...
Amy Curry is not looking forward to her summer. Her mother decided to move across the country and now it's Amy's responsibility to get their car from California to Connecticut. The only problem is, since her father died in a car accident, she isn't ready to get behind the wheel. Enter Roger. An old family friend, he also has to make the cross-country trip - and has plenty of baggage of his own. The road home may be unfamiliar - especially with their friendship venturing into uncharted territory - but together, Amy and Roger will figure out how to map their way. 

My Rating: 5/5

First off I have to say this book is just epic. The characters, the plot, the pace and the relationships within this book are just so lovely that, once I started, I just couldn't put this book down! I love how the main relationship of Amy and Roger gradually grew, it wasn't just thrown in your face straight away. You could see, as a reader, how it was changing, even when the characters weren't really seeing it. Plus both characters were written so brilliantly that you couldn't help but fall in love with them and their self-journeys that both were undertaking. Ah, it was just so cute! Even the side characters were cute, Bronwyn made me laugh and smile constantly.

          "This is just a detour" I clarified.
           "Just a detour," Roger agreed, nodding.

What I also loved about this book was the illustrations and pictures that are slotted within the story. The playlists pages were particularly cute. It gave the book much more depth as it is if you are seeing actual evidence of their road trip. You really feel as though you are a part of the trip and witnessing Amy's life. Also I loved the fact that the author actually took the road trip that Amy and Roger do as it makes it feel as though their journey is more lifelike and real, not just something fictional, with made up towns and places.

         "I'm back," I said softly, "you glorious old pile of rocks. Did you miss me?"

Honestly, I can't get enough of this book, and I know that it will always be one that I would have to read and read and read again. Ultimately what was so special about this book was the character growth and depth that was key in the progression of this book. Both Amy and Roger needed closure and resolution of the difficulties they had, but it wasn't dealt with suddenly. It was subtle and prolonging which fit with the pace within the story. Seriously epic book.

Amy and Roger's Epic Detour